chinook is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Cheapest Place to Buy Hunter Douglas Blinds?

Hi everyone,

We're building a new house and I think I'd like to put in Hunter Douglas woven wood blinds. What are your thoughts about the cheapest place to get them? I've heard Direct Buy has really low prices but don't think we'll be shelling out however much their membership fee is.

I've picked the woven wood blinds because they can go up or down from the top or bottom and have a blackout backing option (I NEED a blackout blind in the kids' rooms!). The only other blinds that do this (as far as I know) are cellulars but I'm not crazy about those. If anyone has a different blind to suggest I'm all ears!

We're in Calgary and not taking posession until spring, probably - but it's never too early to start looking into things! :)

Thanks in advance!

Default RE: Cheapest Place to Buy Hunter Douglas Blinds?

I am currently ordering window covers for our new house as well :)

I am buying from a few different places -

http://www.northernblinds.com/
    Northern Blinds carries Hunter Douglas, I bought the faux white wood ones for our bathrooms.

Costco.ca
    For all of the bedrooms I going to order from Costco.ca, I am going to get the Pleated Shades with Blackout Lining.

And then for the other main windows I am either going to order from Northern Blinds or Costco, I haven't decided yet. I am going to go with White Wood for these areas. (Same as the bathroom, but maybe with real wood, although with white - what really is the difference, except in weight a tiny bit between faux and wood)

I found Home Depot to be annoying...lol, b/c the prices are not all listed etc., Northern Blinds has had awesome communication with me so far, I am really happy with them. At least on their site you can get an idea of prices etc.

As for Direct Buy, isn't the membership like $5000 or some crazy thing like that - YIKES!!! LOL

chinook is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default RE: Cheapest Place to Buy Hunter Douglas Blinds?

Thanks for that link.

Yes, the Direct Buy Membership fee is really high, I think it might even be $10K or more. It's something ridiculous, anyway!

I have horizontals in my house now and don't want them again only because I find dusting them such a PITA, plus they aren't dark enough for the kids' rooms.

I priced some of the HD Provenence wood shades out on Northern Blinds and then through a U.S. store and guess what? Yep. They're about HALF THE PRICE in the states. I haven't found anyone that will ship, though.

I might seriously consider ordering blinds from a store in Spokane or something and making a trip down to pick them up. I'm not sure what the duty is but even if it's high at 20% I'd still save a bundle.

Hmmmm....what to do...what to do.......

Thanks again!