Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Duty?? - UPDATE

EllasMum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Duty??

Good news! I got both my shipments today (HA and the Zooper) and NEITHER had duty charged on it! The FedEx guy simply came in, dropped off the stroller, and left. At the post office, the clerk gave me my package and that was that. I asked if I needed to sign anything or "anything else"... and she said no! So I guess either I don't know how to read Canada Post notices, or else CP just missed out on $30 due to a clerical error. Either way, lucky me! :P

Thanks, Marina for clearing up the duty issue though - in the future I will be more careful with duty! I did end up paying about $9 duty on my HA shipment of roughly $65. Oh well!
    ~~~
    Susan
    DD 08-2005
    Impatiently awaiting adoption match!
    Cure FOP - www.ifopa.org
    ~~~

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Hanna always charges duty, but the nice thing is that you won't have any surprises when the package arrives. They have an arrangement with Canada Post. I just ordered $250 worth of Hanna (blush)... damn sale!

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

Oh, one more thing - watch out for that FedEx one. The UPS invoice I received for brokerage and duty was stuck inside the shipping label (inside the clear plastic pocket). I didn't even notice until they sent me a Past-Due notice, with a threat of a collections agency. They definitely got my attention, but mostly it ticked me off and made me angrier and then I fought the charges. The "collections agency" was a subsidiary of UPS and they have no legal status, I also learned.

I really hope you don't have to pay,

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

Yikes. Thanks for the headsup - I just pulled out the plastic envelope and all it had was the shipping label. Curiously, there was a sticker on the box that says "International paperwork OK" or something similar. I'm wondering if maybe the shipping/handling I paid included the duty?? I paid $20 for the shipping so maybe that was it...

Hanna Hanna Hanna... I'm trying to resist! I just got a box of stuff today but I think I'm going to have to order more. Their stuff is just so gorgeous! At least they refund duty/taxes if a return is necessary.
    ~~~
    Susan
    DD 08-2005
    Cure FOP - www.ifopa.org
    ~~~

mizzum Guest

Hi,

I just returned a pair of primigi shoes to the US that i had ordered for ds- how do i get the duty etc returned to me? I had to pay $11 in charges. Like most of you, sometimes i have to pay and sometimes not.

Thanks,

Lynn

HA has a specific Canadian address that you send the returns to and they deal with the duty/taxes part of the refund. Here's the link to their website with the information:

http://www.hannaandersson.com/static.asp?pg=75
    ~~~
    Susan
    DD 08-2005
    Cure FOP - www.ifopa.org
    ~~~

I have filled in a form on the government's website and faxed it in for a duty re-assessment, but I am not sure what to do for a return. I don't have the website address, because it was a long time ago. Do a google search for government of canada duty refund or something like that.

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

Default Canada Post handling charge

I've seen a few people here mention that Canada Post's charge is $5 for their fee for collecting duty/taxes. That is the old fee. I believe it is $8 (or is it $9?) now. Still a heck of a lot better than UPS brokerage fees. NEVER get a U.S. package delivered UPS!

Default RE: Canada Post handling charge

Oooh, that kinda hurts - well at least the dollar is strong and it seems a bit easier to take a bit of a hit on handing. On a more interesting import note - I just bought a Toyota Sienna in Montana and am driving down to pick it up July 3(after the GST goes down). I saved about $8K on an LE! Easiest car purchase I ever made; no duty; full warranty!

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

Default RE: Canada Post handling charge

That's great! My uncle recently bought a Porsche (might be a mid-life-crisis-mobile, not too sure) in the States, drove it up to a friend's condo in Montana and parked it there for 2 (3?) weeks, and then was able to drive it across the border without duty! Sweet deal!

I, too, am waiting for July 1 to make a big purchase - I'm going to buy a laptop computer and figured why not save a few $$ if I wait 2 weeks?? Love it! Now if we start getting out "beer and popcorn" money on July 1 I'll be even happier! :)

Susan
    ~~~
    Susan
    DD 08-2005
    Cure FOP - www.ifopa.org
    ~~~

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast