Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default What is up with the 32" RF height limit?

Ellasmom brought this to my attention on the carseat board but I need some clarification. I have never, ever, ever heard of this RF limit in my life (not even on these boards - and they are the best source of carseat info I have ever come across).

What is up with that? Does anyone here follow it if they extended RF? I find it hard to imagine as I am positive my DS2 is over the RF height limit. He is only 18 months old and can still get some time RF (although not much - he is 28.5 lbs). I mean, why bother with the MA if you can't legally use it to 30lbs.

I guess I am joining the ranks of law-breakers... if I get hauled off to jail I will at least go knowing my kids are safe, LOL!

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: What is up with the 32" RF height limit?

I've never heard of that before. I'm positive that the sticker on my kid's MA only mentions the weight limit.

ETA: I just went out to the car and checked - no mention of a height limit for RF on the seat, and I couldn't find anything about it in the manual. I thumbed through it pretty quickly, though.

Also, my seat is labeled for RFing up to 33 lbs. I saw the thread on the carseat board, and am confused. Did the gov't specs change between 2004 and now?
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

mizzum Guest

I have never heard of that either. My Britax only has a weight limit, also higher than 30lbs. My boys are both over this height and are RF.

Maybe some of the Canadian techs can help?

I've never heard of height limit, other than the one for the booster law in Ontario. If there is one and I read it, I probably didn't give it much thought. I follow how the child fits in the seat (as per manufacturer's instructions, like the 1" rf rule) over the standing height limits mentioned on some seats. My RA's and IIRC even my MA allowed for a rf child to ride until the tips of their ears were over the shell. I went to even with the shell though. I don't recall this being in the booklets (too hard to get to them at the moment), but it was in their online FAQ and repeated back to me over the phone. Who knows what they say now. Not many people I talk to IRL ever mention standing height limits for anything other than infant seats. I will be interesting to see what the techs have say. I don't feel like dealing with Transport Canada yet again :(

Transport Canada levelled off all rf weights to 30lbs sometime early last year. My MA was one of the last with a 33lb limit and is has a DOM or Feb or March 2005. IIRC, April 2005 seats were the start of the 30lbs limit. If your seat was made before the change and marked for use at the higher weight, it is fine to use it. But it is misuse if you use a newer 30lbs seat to 33lbs.

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Here is the post that I was referring to:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboar...ode=full&page=

I agree - I am leaving my kiddo RF 32" or not. If he fits in the seat as per the manufacturer's guidelines, I'm not bothering with the TC guideline. They haven't impressed me so far with their idiotic carseat laws - i.e. making the MA 30 lbs RF. The funny thing is that I am driving a US Toyota Sienna with a Britax that is identical to the ones made for US markets so you'd think I should be able to RF to 33...

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

hipmaman is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Honestly ladies, I have not heard this at all. We usually get communique from TC, MTO, etc. regarding new policy changes and such. But so far not a thing on this.

I'm working with a few other moms/techs (and Joolsplus) to source this 'rumour'. Anyone here with a Canadian MA that can help verify? If not, I think I should have the answer by tomorrow night and be able to get my hands on a Canadian MA too.
    Tam
    Certified Canadian Child Restraint Safety Technician and Instructor

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I have 2 Cdn MAs -- one from August '04 and the newer one from May '06. I'll check tonight and get back to you.

Just so I know, is this on a sticker on the seat or in the manual? Makes is a little easier for me to find it quickly if I know where to look.

TIA.

Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

Default Update #1 and a ?

Not sure where I'm supposed to be looking for this info -- is it a sticker?? If so, where?

Anyway, on MA #1 (manufacture date August 31, 2004), the manual says RFg to 33lbs, 37".

Will update on MA #2 (2006 DOM) tonight.

If someone could tell me if there is a sticker to look for, that would be great. Both seats are installed FFg, and I'm not particularly inclined to uninstall them if I can find the info without doing so (ie., in the manual).

Melissa

hipmaman is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Update #1 and a ?

Manual or sticker on the seat. The sticker would be on the side of the base or the seat itself, I think. I don'd think it is on the back at all, so no need to uninstall.

I'm just thinking this is just someone (Canadian) smoking dope and Julie thought it was new 'dictate' from TC

Thanks.
    Tam
    Certified Canadian Child Restraint Safety Technician and Instructor

Default RE: Update #1 and a ?

TC needs to lighten up -- smoke more dope, perhaps??

Thanks for the info. I'll post another update tonight when MA#2 arrives home with DH!

Melissa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast