Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    LailaCa Guest

Default RE: TARGET has a new, terrible return policy - don't register there!

I experienced this today in my area as well. I had a package of Gerber onesies with no receipt...package never opened and in perfect condition. Target would not take back or even trade for a larger size. I was shocked. Every other store I have ever been to takes returns so long as the item is in perfect condition, not used, and the store carries it. (Macys, Nordstrom, even BRU)! I am disgusted with Target and if we had another store in our country town I would shop there. Once I deliver I will ONLY shop at WalMart which is where I shopped before I married. I will boycott Target. All my friends and acquaintances are being informed of this as well.

I recently received a bouncer from Target that I wished to return. Unfortunately, I did not have a gift receipt. When I attempted to return the bouncer, I was told that the only thing that can be done without a receipt is an "even exchange." According to the customer service representative, that means that if you are returning 1 item, you can exchange it for 1 item of the same or greater value (of course you pay the difference) from the same department in the store.

There appears to be a flaw in this system, however. When completing my "even exchange" for an item I really didn't want, I was given a gift receipt. I later returned the item with the gift receipt and received a merchandise credit, which was all I wanted in the first place.

My situation eventually worked out, but it was a hassle.
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Another case of the few ruin it for the many

I totally understand why they changed. They used to take back anything & everything 'no questions asked,' even things they did not sell. I know of some tacky people who would take back stuff to them knowing it never came from there.

Sad that it's ruined for those of us who "follow the rules." Too bad they could not find a happy medium.

Mommy to Jonah
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

klfrazier Guest

I really sympathize with everyone who's had trouble with Target's return policy. We did not even consider it for our baby registry because of the trouble we'd had with our wedding registry - before the change of policy. Not only had the system failed to mark many purchases, but returns were horrible. We vowed never again, and are going with Babies R US, which has a much better reputation among our friends.

starrynight Guest

K-mart started doing this same thing earlier this year, no exceptions, no exchanges and no store credits. Receipts only for the same method you paid and I don't think they give gift receipts(I don't know because I only shop there if walmart doesn't have what I need-which is rare.) Note they started going under-maybe enought ppl didn't like their policy.

hellollama Guest

K-Mart's bankruptcy problems have nothing to do with this return policy. They have had extremely bad management for years. K-Mart's woes have been all over the news for years K-Mart simply doesn't have any money. No doubt that is behind the return policy change. Target can't make that claim. They are doing just fine right now.

MJSSPS Guest

Same thing here. Wouldn't consider it because of problems with wedding registry BEFORE change in policy. Though I still like shopping there.

mykoleary Guest

Same here...

We've been able to return products without receipts to Target before (Seattle, WA area.) They DID require a same visit exchange to a product in the same department, but there are so many baby items, that this wasn't an issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2