Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Even more horribleness

Well, things suck. The hospital called today to tell me that the radiologist had looked at Abigail's x-ray and thought that the original ER doctor missed something. (Shocker.) He thought there was a chance that her intestine is -- or was -- twisted a little. Miserable and painful at the least, dangerous at the worst. Of course, I got this message after we left for the holidays, so we are in NC with no doctor. Abigail's ped said she needs a barium enema and another x-ray in the next 24-48 hours. If she does have this thing, she will have to have surgery. Keep in mind that I was dissolving into a useless puddle when all she had was JAUNDICE. I'm very scared, very upset, very furious that the ER doctor missed this on the x-ray (and have complained mightily and am undecided yet if that is all I will do), and so sad that my baby has to endure even the tests for this. And, of course, there is the major hassle of finding a way to get it done since we are eight states away from her doctor. Yikesyikesyikesyikesyikes.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02
    Rachel

Mama to Abby (5) and Ethan (2)

When you know better, you do better.
    -Maya Angelou

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: Even more horribleness

Oh Rachel, how terrible!!!

If there is one small blessing in all of this, hopefully you have now found the source of all her tummy ills. And even though surgery is traumatic for mom and dad, babies usually respond very well and heal very quickly. And afterwards she will feel SO MUCH better!! Just keep that in mind.

Hope all goes well!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

blnony Guest

Rachel-
    I am so sorry. Its a good thing that they caught this, even if it was late. But maybe after this is over, Abby will feel better and you can feel better knowing she is healthy and happy again. The best thing you can do for her is to be strong and help her get through this. Good luck, I know it will all be okay.

jojo2324 Guest

Oh Rachel, I am so sorry. But I'm glad the x-ray tech caught it before the condition worsened. I hope that all will be resolved...Please know that I will be thinking of you often. If you want a troop pf irate moms to storm the offending hospital, I think you've got a good bunch here. Give Abby a big hug and kiss from me, and one to you too...hang in there!

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks, you guys make me cry. And smile-- I love the mental image of all of you descending on the hospital. Please keep us in your thoughts. I just found the friend of a friend who's a radiologist, and he was very nice about my calling him at home, and he is going to arrange for Abigail to have the test tomorrow. I can use all the good energy I can get. I'm shaking in my socks.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02
    Rachel

Mama to Abby (5) and Ethan (2)

When you know better, you do better.
    -Maya Angelou

dd_ani Guest

Hang in there, Rachel (and Abigail!). We will all be thinking of you-- I am so sorry that you are having to go through this! Please let us know how things are going and give little Abigail a big hug from all of us.

Michelle

twins r fun Guest

Well I guess even a yucky answer is better than no answer at all. What a time to find out-thank you ER doc. Good luck with the tests. I'll be thinking of you.

Nicole

megsmom Guest

I'm so sorry that you and your baby are going through this. Like it was said above, I only hope that maybe there will be some answers finally for you.

Hopefully Abigail will sail through the tests. I was so upset when Meghan had to have an x-ray test of her kidneys after a severe infection when she was 6 months. She came through it like a real trooper, though and barely even cried at all. This was Meghan's 3rd time that she had to be catheterized and had to endure multiple shots/blood sticks the week before. But like Beth mentioned, babies are incredibly resiliant and thankfully have a very short term memory of this kind of stuff. We'll be crossing our fingers that hopefully all it will be is tests and minimal suffering for little Abigail. I would think that there are some good docs to be found in NC who can work closely with your ped.

I never got a chance to respond to your other post. *sigh* I work in health care, and it is sometimes just deplorable what happens in my profession. What terrible advice you got, both in delivery and substance. I certainly hope when this is all over you can find the time to write a letter to the CEO of this hospital. At least at our hospital this is when you really get a response.

Good luck to all of you!!!!

Jen
    mom to Meghan 7/13/01

P.S. I hate to even mention this, but just don't want anymore headaches for your family. Make sure you check with your insurance so that this gets covered appropriately since you are out of town. Sometimes people get sidetracked when emotional emergency decisions need to be made, but the folks at insurance cos. are even more uncaring and unsympathetic than that ER doc.

starrynight Guest

HUGS to you and Abigail, I'm glad you found out what it was, sorry it might mean surgery. My neighbors son had this and he had surgery for it and is now a healthy, spunky 2 yr old. :)

gour0 Guest

Oh Rachel, what a terrible time for you and Abigail! I hope you have found the answer at last. It is so frightening to think about how much we rely on doctors to know what they're doing! I'm so glad that you are not willing to just go along with anything a doctor says. It took them a year to figure out that my neice had water in her ears and couldn't hear. She's almost four now and her speach is keeping her from interacting well with other children. I know that this is small, but is just another example of how doctors just brush off our concerns and how often we let them! Please keep us updated on Abigail's progress. I hope they will resolve this quickly and positively so you all can relax and maybe enjoy your holiday. God Bless, Stacey.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast