Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default I'm barely surviving.

Abigail has an ear infection and we're both on antibiotics (mine are unrelated), and she isn't sleeping AT ALL. Her longest stretch in the past five nights has been an hour, and she isn't napping, and I feel like I'm dying. She clearly gets uncomfortable when she's lying down. She clutches her ear, gets congested, holds her breath, then gasps and cries and wakes up. Or if she doesn't wake up, she whimpers and thrashes and wakes ME up. Last night we were up four times before midnight, at which point we were awake for a solid two hours, then she woke up eight or nine times again before morning. I'm in a state of barely controlled panic.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02
    Rachel

Mama to Abby (5) and Ethan (2)

When you know better, you do better.
    -Maya Angelou

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: I'm barely surviving.

You poor things! Is there some way you can elevate her when she sleeps? That may help her sleep longer (I know it helps me to be elevated when I have a cold).

In addition to the antibiotics, are you giving her anything for the congestion? Infant Robitussin does wonders for Sarah when she has a cold. Here's some info: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T089503.asp

Hang in there!!!

Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Rachel,
    I'm so sorry! Colin had an ear infection a few weeks ago and we were all miserable. I think you probably already know this (mostly because I think it's entirely possible that I learned this from one of your posts), but I'm going to tell you anyway just in case, because I really wish I had known a little earlier in the ear infection game: The antibiotics might make her poop runny, which in turn, is likely to give her a horrible, yucky, yeast rash. If you put on some sort of diaper cream early, thick and regularly, it might help in that department. For us, it got to the point where the diaper rash was as distressing as the ear infection and I'd hate for you to have to add that to everything else. I hope you're both feeling better soon!

nathansmom Guest

I hope Abby and you start to feel better soon.

atlbaby Guest

Oh, poor baby (and mommy!) Hopefully, the antibiotics will help her soon. Trying to keep her upright is a good idea, our ped recommended that when Arielle had a long string of ear infections in the Fall. She has a cold now, (and the diarrhea/diaper rash that seems to come with every illness for some reason) and I've been giving her Tyelenol plus Cold. It really helps get her comfortable enough to get some sleep (until it wears off). Plus I don't have to struggle to make her stay still for both syringes of Tylenol (or Motrin) and a decongestant.

I'm not sure if Abigail has enough congestion from her ear infection that you'd want to use a "cold" medicine, but it does work. I've also seen Motrin Cold too.

Hope you all get some relief soon!

-Rachel
    Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
    #2:) EDD 10/24/03

nigele is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

So sorry to hear about poor little Abigail feeling so bad. I hope the two of you get some rest and get better soon.

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thank you all! I zoomed out this morning and got Robitussin, and she did take a nap. She still woke frequently, but stayed basically down for several hours, which is major progress. And I appreciate the diaper rash reminders!!! She's had diarrhea 4 times today. :( I;m keeping her slathered and feeding her baby acidophilus and hoping we'll ward off the worst of it. It's sad to see her so miserable and SO hard to hang in there when I'm so exhausted!

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02
    Rachel

Mama to Abby (5) and Ethan (2)

When you know better, you do better.
    -Maya Angelou

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm glad she got some sleep! Hopefully soon you will too.

So how does baby acidophilus help and where can I find it? Right after I posted my reply to you, Colin came down with a fever, so I think we may be joining your sleepless ear infection club. :( Hopefully we can at least keep a handle on the diaper rash this time around!

KathyO Guest

It's not fair to ask you a question like this when you're so tired your eyes are crossing, but do you know anything about the individual species of lactobacilli? I have read a fair bit about probiotics and am convinced that they're a Good Thing, but don't know what to do when I go to the store and have to choose between L. Rhamnosus and L.acidophilus and L. casei and all the others...

Very glad to hear that the Robitussin is helping... I am wishing you both lots of sleep tonight, and a better day tomorrow! (I have come to believe in the Goddess of Sleep... heaven knows I have prayed to her a few times over my baby's crib!)

Very best wishes,

Kate

Annette_C Guest

Rachel,
    So sorry to hear about Abigail and you are not feeling well.
    I hope you both get better soon and get plenty of rest.
    Annette
    SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast