Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default RE: My mother and my mother-in-law are insane!

Shannon:

You are not the only one. If you look back through these boards and the lounge you'll see tons of stories about MILs.

Do what you want to do. If possible ignore them. When my MIL gives "advice" I think of my happy place and look out into space and nod "Uh huh". LOL!

I think we should gather up all of our stories into a book and the title should say "If you want to be a good MIL don't do the following. . ."

Sonia
    Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03
    http://www.mcdyer.com/MartieSurasky.htm
    Sonia, who is eagerly awaiting the magic laundry fairy to visit me
    Mommy to M girls

farsk Guest

Hello Everyone!

Thanks so much for your hilarious posts. It has definately made me feel better. I knew I wasn't the only one...and it is comforting to know that the world is full of crazy people! I understand (or maybe I don't since it's our first!) that raising a newborn will be difficult, but my husband and I are reasonably intelligent people and aren't afraid of making non-lethal mistakes!haha! Anyway, my cousin-in-law, who has just had her first, and I were also thinking of writing a book titled, "How to Make Pregnant Women Crazy" and on the dedication page, write, "for our mothers and mother-in-laws, without whos inspiration this book would not have been possible."HA!

Thanks again for the much needed comic relief!
    -Shannon

brubeck Guest

An Shannon, just remember, if you make a mistake the baby isn't going to tell. It's just a little secret between the two of you!

About your mother....

If she thinks you are spending too much on your baby, so be it. You get what you will be happy with. If she wants to get something for the baby, maybe send her out clothes shopping. Clothes can be a good way for her to spend whatever she wants. Suggest bargain hunting at an outlet store for good baby clothing brands (personally, I am a Carter's clothing addict-nothing too fancy, but darling!)

About your mother-in-law....

The only approval you really need to fly (in my opinion) is your OB/GYN. I had to fly cross country at 6 1/2 months for a funeral. I had to be there. There was no way I was going to miss it because I was pregnant. My OB/GYN was not concerned. Just make sure you are comfortable.
    About you moving in with her.. that is the DUMBEST thing I have ever heard. Tell her you need to get used to having the baby in your surroundings not hers! Having a new baby at home is hard enough. Having to care for one in someone else's home, where you do not have all the "conveniences" you've spent months working on ( changing table arranged with all the stuff you need, rocking chair or another comfy place to feed baby, etc.). I would not want to be stumbling over someone else's furniture in the middle of the night. Truthfully, you really only want someone to stay with you after the birth if they know you need learn to be with your baby. Someone who will do the dishes, meals, laundry, etc. and leave the baby care to you (unless you ask them to help with the baby). If you are financially secure, tell her you are hiring a doula or mother's helper for a few days to help out after the birth, but she could bring over dinner one night:)

Mothers and Mothers-in-law can be insane... actually lots of people can go a little crazy when a baby is coming. Stick to your guns... remember, you will be the mom who's opinion counts with the baby.

Congrats and enjoy your trip!

farsk Guest

Hello again everyone!

I just wanted to let you know that our 10 day trip to Scotland was WONDERFUL! Absolutely no trouble whatsoever (except for my plodding along!) I even climbed the Wallace Monument (264 steps to the top after climbing a 1/4 mile walkway with a 20% incline) Yay! Now that we're back, we only have 8 weeks to go (scary) and we will be spending the weekend getting her nursery together! Thanks for your support! I love these boards!

-Shannon
    Mom to Ellen (edd 7/28/03)

Shannon:

Sounds wonderful. I'm jealous!!

Sonia
    Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03
    http://www.mcdyer.com/MartieSurasky.htm
    Sonia, who is eagerly awaiting the magic laundry fairy to visit me
    Mommy to M girls

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2