Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Maybe it's e-Pregnancy?? Anti-BFing? AARGH.

On the heels of last issue's Toni Braxton comment about "wanting to have a life" as a reason for not breastfeeding, this months issue has an article titled "The Battle to Breastfeed: Tales from the Front Lines." The article describes several women's stories about their trouble with BFing. Included are several statements that REALLY bother me... one as a quote (that I can only imagine is taken out of context??) from LLL: "only a very small percentage of American women will be able to breastfeed successfully without help"....which makes it sound like BFing takes professional help. I know, that it doesn't necessarily come naturally and requires patience, but the "small percentage" bit bothers me. It also describes a woman who "weathered two months of pain" and "it got so bad that my husband had to tell me to stop yelling every time our son would latch on" ...now if that wouldn't convince you to skip BFing, I don't know what will...and BTW why didn't she call her doc???? The last quote was from a "veteran" BFer: "I had a misconception that BFing would be easier than formula feeding, IT IS NOT. It's cheaper, more convenient, etc. but by no means easier" I am also lucky that I had a pretty easy time learning to BF (I swear DD just knew what to do and it had nothing to do with me). And OK, I know that I am over-sensitive to media attention to BFing, since it's currently such a big part of my life...But I think this article, while trying to show the difficulties and some of the realities of BFing, it doesn't show any of the many positive, loving beautiful sides of BFing.

Sorry to rant, but this is the Bitching Post, I guess!!! I know that a lot of you have the same subscription, did you get the same gist? Or am I truly trying to pick a fight (with e-Pregnancy) here???

Thanks for letting me air my thoughts...

momathome is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Maybe it's e-Pregnancy?? Anti-BFing? AARGH.

Yuck!!! I have found most of the articles on breastfeeding are one extreme to the other - it's either all sweetness and light with happy, well-rested mothers with calm, suckling babies or mothers screaming in pain at the mere thought of the baby latching on and the baby shrieking because he cannot get enough to eat. Haven't read too many well-balanced articles showing the reality, which, for most of us seems to be that it sucks (literally) in the beginning when you are first getting the hang of it but with a little practice, quickly becomes about the most gratifying and amazing thing you have ever done in your life. While I have not read this particular article, it definitely does not sound like it offers the calm, encouraging words that women need to hear when they are pregnant or just getting started.
    Rant all you want, girlfriend, this seems quite justified!!!
    -Lauren

zen_bliss is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

is it possible ePregnancy is published by a parent company who also owns a formula company? or, are there a lot of formula ads in ePregnancy?

you could also send the editor in chief a letter complaining about the noticable anti-BFing slant.

KathyO Guest

I think you're on to something there. Ever notice how parenting magazines hardly ever mention that cloth diapering exists, and when they do, it's usually to allude to how difficult and icky it is. Yeah, right. All you need to do is leaf through and count the full-page disposable-diaper ads...

I, like everyone else, would admit that BFing took some practice and persistence, but would strongly disagree that it is less easy or incompatible with "having a life"... particularly at 3am feedings when all you have to do is roll over and apply baby to boob...

KathyO

4S Ranch Guest

I don't subscribe to any mags, but I wonder if Parenting Magazine could be different with Dr. Sears, AP/BF advocate as one of the contributors.

Anyone know?

Shelly

brubeck Guest

I was just reading the latest issue of Parents yesterday (July 2003) and there was a big article about the benefits of breastfeeding to Moms. They had some stuff I had never even heard of, such as a decreased risk of arthritis and increased bone density. No mention of formula in the article at all, except for the implied (beneficial) comparisons against FF Moms.

I have Parents too and a while ago it had two view points of mommies on different issues on BFing and FFing. It seemed that both views were very defensive and kind of derogotary towards the opposite of what the other did. I guess whenever their is a clear cut choice b/n two styles of parenting both sides will be defensive on what they practice and put down the other. I say this because a couple months later I saw the viewpoints b/n a family bed and crib sleeping. While I co-sleep I would never call a crib a big jail cell because I do put Martie in there when I get tired of her whapping me in the face with her arm.

Sonia
    Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

Sonia, who is eagerly awaiting the magic laundry fairy to visit me
    Mommy to M girls

Jenmv Guest

I read the bfing vs ffing and the co-sleeping vs crib sleeping editorials too. I couldn't remember what magazine it was. I agree each side seemed to be very defensive and extreme in their arguments. Its almost like the magazine was trying to tick people off. As some one who does not co-sleep the comment about how mothers who put babies in cribs to sleep are "breaking their spirits" really bugged me. I don't have any problems with people who co-sleep but in my case dd became far too wriggly and restless. After about 6 weeks she didn't even want to be rocked to sleep. I wish she was a more cuddly baby but the reality is she sleeps fine in her crib and has never cried more than a few minutes before falling asleep at night, if at all. In fact, I noticed that she fell asleep faster being in a crib as opposed to my bed. Sorry, I know I'm a little off topic but those editorials have been bugging me for awhile.

mama2be Guest

OH Jen...don't let it bug you. It breaks my heart that we are all left questioning everything we do, that breaks a mommies spirit!!!! I can assure you your baby is 100% perfect sleeping in the crib...my midwives said they can sleep in drawers (removed obviously)...but anyone of us on these boards has to have the best interest of our babies at heart and it saddens me that certain topics leave us all questioning our parent skills...

I said this in a previous thread so sorry if I am repeating it to others...but this is my latest moto. I have had the pleasure since having Tristan of meeting some of the most fantastic moms on this Earth. I have yet to find one that is a worse mom than myself...but I have been happily suprised to find I've yet to find one that I think is a better mom than myself. So none better...but none worse...we all do the best that we can for our children...especially those on these boards in this community!!!!

mharling Guest

Well said, Neve!! We all know that we are the best parent for our child. Different does not equate to better or worse and it's unfortunate that magazine articles and even other parents can try to make us feel otherwise. Phooey on them!!!

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
    http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=...21b33928e40550

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast