Default Insomnia = Not fun

I know that lack of sleep is a reoccuring theme on this post, but I don't understand why everyone else in this household can sleep and I can't. This stinks!! It's 3:00 AM and I know DD is going to wake up in 3 hours ready to play and I can't sleep. What is wrong with me? Does anybody have tips to go to sleep. I'm sure going on a stimulating computer is not the solution, but I did all my bills too on the comp. before getting on the boards.

Sonia
    Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

Sonia, who is eagerly awaiting the magic laundry fairy to visit me
    Mommy to M girls

kapow Guest

Default RE: Insomnia = Not fun

I'm there with you...and Boy Wonder hasn't been BORN yet. I'm four days before my due date and this fantastic acid reflux has me awake at 4:30 am. I wish I had some breakfast-cereal-flavored Tums.

ginalc Guest

Ooh! I know some answers to this one!!!

1. Tryptophan: Eat some Turkey! It helps you relax and sleep. Warm milk also helps!

2. Benadryl. 25mg - 50mg (1-2 tablets) is a safe way to fall into slumber. Hospitals use this when patients can't sleep, it's also the ingredient used in "p.m." medications like Tylenol PM.

3. Can you say Nyquil? :) Same concept, zonks you out but allows you to be alert enough to wake up if necessary.

4. Perform your regular bedtime rituals. For me, it's washing my face and brushing my teeth. Sometimes I have to get up and eat a bowl of cereal (or a turkey sandwich), brush my teeth, and go back to bed. We usually have certain sleep cues that help us prepare for sleep. Also, if you have a favorite t-shirt or nightgown to sleep in, change into it. Sometimes these "rituals" help you prepare to go back to sleep.

Sweet Dreams!

gina, mom to 3

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I was thinking that this was a post-partum side effect as I was lying wide awake last night in my bed, with Nate snuggled next to me, out cold and my husband snoring away. Is it?? Nate wakes up if I am not in the bed, so I couldn't even go downstairs to work off some of the wakefulness. I eventually fell asleep. And is it some sort of whacko sleep thing that my baby, who would not sleep more than 2 hours at a time for the past week, slept for 6+ hours STRAIGHT while I was awake and having a mental race for 2 hours in the dark??
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

newbelly2002 Guest

Ohh me too!

Ugh. 2 nights ago Dante slept from 8-8. Unheard of. And I was up at 11, 3 and 5. Awake, racing, and unable to sleep. Nature is just sometimes a little too unfair.

Paula, Mama to Dante
    http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=...21b32384e84594 -6/25 update

Kelly, you poor thing, I stayed up many a night when I was pregnant. They tell you to get your rest now before the baby comes, but that is definitely easier said than done!

Sonia
    Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

Sonia, who is eagerly awaiting the magic laundry fairy to visit me
    Mommy to M girls