Jenmv Guest

Default Dyes in baby medicine

I realize this is not an earth shattering problem but in the spirit of this forum is appropriate. What kind of MORON decided that it was a good idea to put red dye in all infant medications!!!! I mean seriously dd is going to use both of her arms flailing wildly to bat away any dropper that comes to her mouth whether the contents of the dropper are red, blue, green, grey or white. I have prided myself in so far not allowing any stains to set in her clothes and that includes carrots, sweet potatoes and massive pooh expolsions, but this stuff I can't even get out with bleach!!! I've tried Zout, shout, bleach and oxyclean and there is STILL a faint pink stain on one of her outfits and of course its a gymboree outfit not one of her cheaper ones. Thanks for letting me rant. Can you tell we are dealing with our first serious cold at home?

All of this in addition to the fact that we get back to our house after being away for 5 days for a funeral. The basement is flooded because one of the pipes going to the water heater leaked while we were away. For some unknown reason my husband turns off the water going into the water softener while he is fixing this and forgets to turn it back on. As a result I did all of the baby's laundry in water that went straight from the well, by-passing the water softener and now all of her clothes are crunchy and stained reddish brown with rust due to our wonderful midwestern hard water. Time to soak everything in Iron Out and hope for the best. Of course DH doesn't see what the big deal is.

nohomama Guest

Default RE: Dyes in baby medicine

I'm with you on the dye thing. When Lola was younger she used to do a spit-take with every dose of medicine she was given. Those experiences taught me to buy dye-free meds when I can find them (that means paying more for a name brand...I've never found a generic med without dye) and to put a towel over and under her as a preventative measure.

And while we're griping about medications, who's bright idea was it to make bubblegum, berry, etc. flavored drugs for infants. Yuck. I find the smell almost as hard to get out of clothes as the dye.

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Oooh! No fun! I'm with you on the dye AND the flooded basement! (Ours has flooded twice in the last year, once with SEWER water! Yuck!)

Like Nohomama said, I have managed to find some dye-free medicines. Specifically, I know Motrin makes a dye-free version of their infant drops. It's got to get better soon! Hang in there.

The Baby Motrin is dye free but it STINKS of fake "berries". For some reason it's REALLY sticky too. I have to not only assault Sophie with a dropper, but then with a wet paper towel!

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04