sugarsnappea Guest

Default When things get tough- why aren't people nice?

I guess I am a little miffed about boiling all my water and drinking it warm. I know I was a little unprepared BUT why do people have to be soooooo greedy when supplies get scarce? I drive to the only generator powered gas station around and wait in line for over an hour, hoping to get a few gallons of gas. The guy in front of me proceeds to fill his Durango up to 22 gallons, then fill up 3, 5 gallon containers for his generator. Guess what, my turn comes and the station is dry. I have to wait for the gas truck. :(

I wait until Sunday evening to go to the grocery store to get water and milk, guess what "no water". Ok I can deal-- until I see a guy at the check out with about 30 gallons!?

Lastly, about 2 hours after the power outage occurs I am playing in the yard with my daughter. The radio is urging us to conserve water and I find out that most of my family in surrounding areas have no water. My toilet has the equivalent of 3 pregnant bladders and my cloth diaper pail is starting to stink b/c of the heat. What do I see, but the dingbat 2 doors down watering her lawn!!! Not knowing isn't an excuse since I heard all my news from HER RADIO!

Ugh! Maybe it is my hormones, or the fact that I was not prepared BUT am I being unreasonable?

momathome is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: When things get tough- why aren't people nice?

I feel for you, Deb! People can be really selfish and not take into account what anyone is going through but them. Last summer our area was in a terrible drought and we were told under no circumstances should we water our lawn. Two or three lawn-obsessed neighbors were still out there every day with their sprinklers going - you just shake your head at the absurdity of it all. I suppose as long as their lawn looks nice, nothing else matters! I will cross my fingers for you that your area's situation improves soon. Good luck!
    -Lauren

pritchettzoo Guest

Wow--why don't you offer to pee on her lawn? Kill two birds, so to speak...

;o)

(I hope things get better soon! I can't imagine being without power, water, etc. We're so spoiled here...)

Anna
    #1(DD) EDD 9/10/03

jojo2324 Guest

Oh Deb, that stinks. Are you still without power?? I was at work on Thursday when the blackout hit (I work at a restaurant.) and we were told to stay put until we knew more. Uhhh, I think that once we hear it's the entire Northeast, we can be rest assured that it AIN'T coming back on any time soon. Regardless, our boss kept us there for nearly 3 hours, doing NOTHING. And I KNEW that people were heading into panic mode and there would be nothing left at the stores.

By the time I finally got to the store, it was like a stampede. People were snatching up scented Glade candles for lighting, and just stopping short in the aisles, throwing stuff all over the place. It was such a nightmare.

And it really gets my goat when people ignore water rules to maintain their lawns!!! It is so unbelieveably disrespectful, if nothing else. Of course, if you saw the state of MY lawn, I probably conserve too much water in that respect! :)

And I would let those preggo hormones ride out while you can...Really, what else are they there for?? :P Feel happier soon!