Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Babies R Us!

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: Babies R Us!

Your Baby Depot HAS EMPLOYEES? I always laugh at the registry at ours wondering if anyone actually uses them since there's never even any employees around, just boxes of unpacked merchandise.

I even complained to corporate once about the BRU in Calabasas and it got back to the store who called me and DEBATED my complaint!! Can you believe it? Again, never once said "I'm Sorry," but instead tried to invalidate my complaint. "The clerk could not have told you the mother's room was dirty b/c we were short-handed that day since we have a seperate cleaning crew for that." "Well, it was disgusting and that's what he told me." This is the SAME BRU where I accidentally walked out of the store (with a crying baby) and a CPU protector in my cart that I didn't pay for. My friend ran back to give it to the guy doing carts and he said, "Well, you got it this far, you may as well keep it." (no, we did not keep it.)

Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

Michelle in SD Guest

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one though I'm sorry that so many of us have had these kinds of experiences.

jeanmick, luckily we do have some other stores like Oh Baby!, Dream Kids (though wildly expensive, fun for ideas), Baby Depot (haven't been there yet and I plan to avoid it based on their return policies), and a few other "boutique" stores (have you checked out Baby Mabel's in Solana Beach?).

BRU is a crazy place. Always busy and never enough employees around to help. And when you can locate one, good luck getting an answer. I actually asked one BRU employee about the difference between two carseats and if parents had any feedback on them and his answer..."I've not conducted a survey". Ugh.

Michelle :)

mom2kandj Guest

I was in San Diego a few weeks ago and made a special trip to La Jolla just to do some window shopping in Heritage Baby! Makes me wants a new PRETTY stroller! Alas, I'm stuck with my Mac Opus Duo! LOL! Do you have a USA Baby near you? The one in San Juan Cap near me is always deserted and we like to go there to look at new products and test things out. Jasmine(salesperson) said that their once a year one day sale is coming up soon. I think she said Sept. 7, but I'd call first! As for BRU and traveling so far to do stuff on your registry, I'd look at your local TRU and see if they have registry availability there then let your friends and family know that they can use your registry at TRU, too. Our BRU is 20 miles away vs 7 miles for TRU and our baby section at TRU carries about 70-80% of the stuff that we look for! HTH!

Rose
    mom 2 Katie (32 months)
    & Jack (16 months)

starrynight Guest

Urg that stinks! We don't have a bru, just a tru and it's touch and go with them. If they aren't too busy most of the time they are helpful and actually know a few things about what I'm asking. But don't even get me started about the target employees, especially if you call on the phone to ask a question.

Jeanmick Guest

>jeanmick, luckily we do have some other stores like Oh Baby!,
    >Dream Kids (though wildly expensive, fun for ideas), Baby
    >Depot (haven't been there yet and I plan to avoid it based on
    >their return policies), and a few other "boutique" stores
    >(have you checked out Baby Mabel's in Solana Beach?).

Hi Michelle,

In the last year, there have been a few more baby stores opening in the SD area. Just last week in driving on Miramar Road, there was new store called "Kid's Wherehouse", a block away from another baby store called "Children's Land." And on the same street, just a mile away, there's USA Baby. I've gone to USA Baby a few times to check out things (that's where we bought our Peg Perego Pliko and our double stroller). Their service was much better than BRU. At least I don't have to drive too far to get to these stores. I've yet to check out Heritage Baby. I think I'm avoiding that place on purpose, 'cause I don't want "stroller envy." :)

I've looked at Baby Depot in Clairemont and bought a couple of thing that I know I'd probably not return (i.e., blankets, pacifiers, spoons, etc.), but I definitely don't make major item purchases there. Haven't been to Baby Mabel's yet, but when I get some time, I'll be sure to check them out. Thanks for the info.

Jeanette

sams mom Guest

Anyone who has ever set foot in a BRU knows what horrible customer service they have. Why don't you find and support a local specialty store? I've found most are price competitive, and have far superior service compared to BRU. If you don't like BRU, vote with your $$$$.
    Happy shopping, Linda.

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Nice idea, if we had one.

Vajrastorm Guest

Default Another SD resident

Baby Mabels has clothing, but it isn't a place for general "baby" stuff. It also has maternity clothes too - brands like Japanese Weekened, etc. I got my coming home outfit from Baby Mabel's.

It has a good selection of zutano clothing, and plenty of pricey but adorable stuff.

I stepped into Children's Land once looking at Rumbletuff dressers, but the salesman was so pushy I left.

We got out crib at the USA Baby in Miramar, and had a good experience with that. I hate that they aren't open on Sundays, though.

Two neat shops in the area - Magical Child in Encinitas (off highway one) and Sweetpea in Del Mar (right near Dream Kids, in the Flower Hill Mall) Magical Child is primarily clothing, but has toys and nursing bras, in addition to tolietries and books. Sweatpea is a clothing store - not a baragin but oh my! Dangerous to the pocketbook. I'm glad I don't know the sex of my baby, or I'd have been tempted to spend money I shouldn't. I blame it on pregnancy hormones.

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Oh, the BRU in Calabasas is HORRIBLE! The registry desk staff (save for one extremely helpful young lady) is absolutely useless.

I was updating my registry in there one day and walked back up to the desk to hand in my scanner. The girl took my scanner and then just ignored me. Like, um, hello--I would like a print out. How about some communication here? All the while another girl was sitting there coloring, yes coloring! And the third girl was on a personal phone call. FINALLY someone helped me, but you can be sure that I filled out a complaint card.

Deb in Los Angeles, CA
    #1 due 12/4/03

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2