mharling Guest

Default GymBucks are a waste!!

Using GymBucks, I purchased, among other things, a $24 item. Last week, I went to exchange that item for a different size, but they were out. So instead, I picked out a sweater and a pair of sweat pants. Neither item was $24 or more, but combined they were. It turns out that in order to be able to 'reuse' the GymBucks, they have to be used for a SINGLE item of equal or greater value than the returned item. That really stinks! With this round of GymBucks, I think I ended up with $100 of stuff for $89. That's certainly not a savings in my mind!

I'm really not liking Gymboree; if only their clothes weren't so dang cute!

Oh well. Lesson learned. Be leary of GymBucks!!!! :)

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
    http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=...21b3237413c427 - New 6/18

Default RE: GymBucks are a waste!!

The trick with Gymbucks, is to buy either the new line's hot items that you want that will probably sell out first OR to buy sale items, when you can get them for an AWESOME deal.

But like you said, don't return things you got with Gymbucks or you lose out....
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

gravymommy3 Guest

As long as the price of the item you purchased is the same, why don't you return the item without the receipt? That way they don't know about the gymbucks, and you can turn around and purchase what you need with the store credit. Might seem a little dishonest, but you did have to spend a lot of money to get the gymbucks, so you should not be punished for having to return/exchange an item.

brubeck Guest

A friend of mine got gifts from her MIL that were purchased with Gymbucks. She didn't like them, but didn't have a recepit so she did what you suggested and returned then for store credit. They gave her the FULL amount as store credit. She then used her store credit to earn more Gymbucks and then make another purchase with the new Gymbucks.

So she got $50 of store credit (clothes had been purchased for $25 with Gymbuck), earned another Gymbuck and then got $50 worth of clothes for $25. So all in all, 50% savings on TWO shopping trips. She did remember to thank her MIL (although she didn't tell her what happened to the original clothes). :-)

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Can Gymbucks be redeemed online now? I thought I remembered seeing that they could, but when I got some last week, the salesperson told me they had to be stapled to the receipt to be used. What's the deal?

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

pritchettzoo Guest

I think you have to mail them in and then they reimburse your credit card upon receipt. I looked into it last time when I couldn't find something in the store and it sounded like a giant PITA. (Yes, this unborn child has too many clothes already!)

Anna
    #1(DD) EDD 9/10/03

emmiem is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I agree, Gymbucks are just a marketing tool to spend more money. I used to run to the store to earn Gymbucks but lately the lines are getting marked down sooner. Now, if I really want the items at full price, I will buy them to get gymbucks but consider it a bonus. I don't really worry if I can't redeem them all. One thing I found that if you need to return something on a Gymbuck receipt just wait for the redemption period to be over and them I will return or exchange the item. They do still have a 6 month return policy so you just wait a little longer to return the items that did not work out.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I am not a fan of Gymbucks either. It is a ploy to get you to buy more than you normally would. Gymboree wouldn't do this if it weren't a big money maker for THEM! And I also hate the lines if I happen to walk into Gymboree during a Gymbucks redemption period. I usually just walk out, because there is NO way I would wait in that line! I never buy anything at Gymboree unless it is at least 40% off. I do love their return policy though!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)