Default Ranting...If you don't want an opinion other than your own,

then why do you bother to ask? This woman in my play group asked a bunch of us our opinion on a somewhat controversial child rearing topic. Well, of course, she got a bunch of different responses. Some agreed with her, others did not, but everyone's responses to her questions were very adult and civil. Well, now she is being nasty to those that didn't agree with her take on the subject. I know in looking for opinions, she was essentially looking for support of her own beliefs, but did she really think that everyone she asked was going to just agree with her to appease her?

Ugh! How should I go about handling this person in the future? If she asks for opinions on some other topic, should I just take the fifth and not answer, or maybe I should avoid her altogether? I know that will drive me nuts, because I am opinionated and I do have strong beliefs on some topics that may come up. I really don't want to avoid her because, for the most part, I actually like her and find her fun. What would you do? Oh, and by the way, I am guessing I will get a few different opinions here, so I am prepared for your answers, whether I agree with them or not ;-) (wink, wink, ha, ha!) Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    Danielle

tinkerbell1217 Guest

Default RE: Ranting...If you don't want an opinion other than your own,

I would avoid her all together. Life is too short to deal with people like that!!! I am very opinionated too and I have learned to just ignore some people and avoid others all together. For example, I have a nail customer (I am a nail tech) that is very loud and opinionated and she has totally different views on religion than I do and for the most part I try to avoid talking to her about that, but every now and then she brings it up and I just nod and let it go in one ear and out the other!

She may be fun, and if you can keep the "opinions" to a minimum, you might be okay. But most people like that are just volatile and waiting to explode on somebody! Hope it gets easier!

Kelly

pritchettzoo Guest

Because you like her otherwise, I'd treat it lightly. Say, "Hmmm, that belongs with politics and religion!" laugh, and then change the subject... "(insert her child's name here)'s outfit is darling. Where did you find it?"

If you want to be better friends with her, I'd say quietly, "Well, I hesitate to tell you what I really think because you seemed hurt by differing opinions before. I enjoy your company and think we could be friends, but I don't want this coming between us. If you really want to discuss the subject, I'll be happy to share my thoughts." Then the ball's in her court and she has had fair warning.

Anna
    Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

Sarah1 Guest

Since it sounds like you like her for the most part, I'd just try to avoid those controversial conversations if at all possible. It sounds like she's probably just feeling on the defensive with the other moms (although it was her fault). I bet after a little while it'll blow over...in the meantime if the conversation steers toward serious child-rearing topics, I'd try to make a joke and like Anna said just lightly change the subject to something else. With all the kids around it's easy to just break in with a compliment!