Saartje is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Darn it, cat, keep OUT of the nursery!

Ever since DS was born, one of our cats thinks the nursery is the neatest hiding spot ever. She especially likes the changing table, for some reason, but she'll sleep under any of the furniture. It wouldn't be a problem (since she doesn't get in the crib, and is actually somewhat protective of the baby), but she wakes up while I have the door closed for DS to nap, and meows and paws at the door until we let her out -- which wakes the baby. Of course.

Any thoughts on keeping her out of there? (I know, I know: "Close the door." :P Problem is, that's hard to do sometimes when my arms are full of the baby. Any OTHER thoughts? ;))

flagger Guest

Default RE: Darn it, cat, keep OUT of the nursery!

Lay down three strips of duct tape about 2 inches apart sticky side up on the floor across the threshold of the door. Not so far that you couldn't step across it, but where your kitty would step on it. I gaurantee that will keep her out of there.

Tin foil on the changing table should work.

You can also have your DH put a screen door up on the nursery threshold. Not pretty, but effective. I guess you could also put a cat door in the regular door if you really wanted to.

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

bethwl Guest

I placed tape in a criss-cross pattern on posterboard and laid it on the counter to train one of our cats to stay off the counter, and amazingly, she learned to step in between the tape in the clear spaces.

It's always worth a try, but I was amazed that she figured it out so fast.

amp Guest

One word...tinfoil. We used it in the crib, bassinet and changing table before DS arrived. Cured the cats after about 2 tries. However, it wasn't quiet when it happened, so using it while baby is sleeping might not be the best option. Double sided tape also works well I've heard. Put it on the item itself or on cardboard. Cats do NOT like to get their feet stuck to stuff! Good luck Sarah!

jal is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Could you solve the problem by installing a "cat" door so she could still leave the room even if the door is closed?

Saartje is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'll try the tape later today. I already know foil doesn't work with this cat (she moves it out of the way if it's not fastened down, and just settles down on it if it is), and anything involving hanging a screen door or cutting a kitty door is out, since we live in a rented apartment with antique doors/frames.

We'll see if it works, or if she just tiptoes around it!

What about draping some sheer netting over the doorway like a curtain. Let it drape on the floor enough so that cat cannot get through. You could use a curtain rod well above the frame so you do not disturb the woodwork. If its a girls nursery you could dress it up with ribbon tiebacks or if its a boys you could give it more of a safari look.

toomanystrollers Guest

Get a dog :P