bartman Guest

Default What's the deal with baby furniture orders?---Long!

I suspect this is more or less the standard in the furniture industry, but I was wondering if there is anything else I should do. Here's the story.

Nine weeks ago we ordered a new bedroom set for my son. It would be his first time in a real bed, being not quite 3, he's always been in a crib. We have a new child coming in January, and "experts" say to make as few transitions as possible for your first child around the time of delivery of your second. So we ordered this bedroom far enough in advance so that he would have a chance to get used to it.

We ordered it from USA Baby in Richmond Virginia. The furniture was supposed to be coming from the manufacturers warehouse in Suffolk Virginia, about a 2 hour drive. At the time, we were told that because it was so close, the bed should arrive in 4-8 weeks.

At 6 weeks we called and they gave us a delivery date! We were so excited that we hired a babysitter to stay with our son, so we could take the 1 hour drive and not worry about him being underfoot while we loaded the bed. Not surprisingly, the furniture was not in. Multiple calls in the next several weeks brought more 3 more separate promised delivery dates. This time we were a bit more savvy and didn't hire a babysitter!

No furniture even with all the delivery dates given. Finally last week they said that the manufacturer told them the bed was "on the truck" and it would arrive in 2 days. Remember this is a 2 hour drive in good weather. 2 days go by and of course, no furniture.

Now they are saying that "all our furniture has a 8-12 month" delivery time. This is of course not what we were told and contradicts all the delivery dates we were give.

I expect to talk to the manger tomorrow. Am I making too much out of this? Any suggestions as to my approach and demands? We'd prefer to ultimately get the furniture, but would be willing to forfeit it. A discount would of course be nice?

Thanks for reading this long discourse.

B

bartman Guest

Default What's the deal with baby furniture orders?---Long!

I suspect this is more or less the standard in the furniture industry, but I was wondering if there is anything else I should do. Here's the story.

Nine weeks ago we ordered a new bedroom set for my son. It would be his first time in a real bed, being not quite 3, he's always been in a crib. We have a new child coming in January, and "experts" say to make as few transitions as possible for your first child around the time of delivery of your second. So we ordered this bedroom far enough in advance so that he would have a chance to get used to it.

We ordered it from USA Baby in Richmond Virginia. The furniture was supposed to be coming from the manufacturers warehouse in Suffolk Virginia, about a 2 hour drive. At the time, we were told that because it was so close, the bed should arrive in 4-8 weeks.

At 6 weeks we called and they gave us a delivery date! We were so excited that we hired a babysitter to stay with our son, so we could take the 1 hour drive and not worry about him being underfoot while we loaded the bed. Not surprisingly, the furniture was not in. Multiple calls in the next several weeks brought more 3 more separate promised delivery dates. This time we were a bit more savvy and didn't hire a babysitter!

No furniture even with all the delivery dates given. Finally last week they said that the manufacturer told them the bed was "on the truck" and it would arrive in 2 days. Remember this is a 2 hour drive in good weather. 2 days go by and of course, no furniture.

Now they are saying that "all our furniture has a 8-12 month" delivery time. This is of course not what we were told and contradicts all the delivery dates we were give.

I expect to talk to the manger tomorrow. Am I making too much out of this? Any suggestions as to my approach and demands? We'd prefer to ultimately get the furniture, but would be willing to forfeit it. A discount would of course be nice?

Thanks for reading this long discourse.

B

Default RE: What's the deal with baby furniture orders?---Long!

I don't have any words of wisdom for you, but I certainly don't think you're making a big deal out of nothing. They've failed to deliver on their promises multiple times, so I think a talk with the manager is definitely in order. (I'm a wimp so DH would be doing it if we were in your situation) I would see if there is some sort of discount or remuneration they can make, especially since you paid for a babysitter and if you actually drove to pick up the furniture when they told you it would be there (I wasn't sure from your post if you made the trip). Anyway, I definitely think it's grounds for a loud complaint to the manager and hope you are happy with the outcome. Good luck!
    Erica, mama to Lucas Owen 1/11/05, Finn William 2/22/08 and Ethan James 2/10/10

I don't have any words of wisdom for you, but I certainly don't think you're making a big deal out of nothing. They've failed to deliver on their promises multiple times, so I think a talk with the manager is definitely in order. (I'm a wimp so DH would be doing it if we were in your situation) I would see if there is some sort of discount or remuneration they can make, especially since you paid for a babysitter and if you actually drove to pick up the furniture when they told you it would be there (I wasn't sure from your post if you made the trip). Anyway, I definitely think it's grounds for a loud complaint to the manager and hope you are happy with the outcome. Good luck!
    Erica, mama to Lucas Owen 1/11/05, Finn William 2/22/08 and Ethan James 2/10/10

bartman Guest

>Now they are saying that "all our furniture has a 8-12 month"
    >delivery time. This is of course not what we were told and
    >contradicts all the delivery dates we were give.

OOOPS!:o Meant to say 8-12 *weeks*. Still it's longer than expected.

bartman Guest

>Now they are saying that "all our furniture has a 8-12 month"
    >delivery time. This is of course not what we were told and
    >contradicts all the delivery dates we were give.

OOOPS!:o Meant to say 8-12 *weeks*. Still it's longer than expected.

steph2003 Guest

The baby furniture industry is horrible IMHO. I've heard so many horrors stories about missed delivery dates, damaged furniture, back ordered items, etc. It is almost like they know how to play on the emotions of pregnant hormonal women! I have my own baby furniture horror story too long to post or bore ya with! But no I dont think you are being unresonable & would talk to a store manager pronto. I've learned from past mistakes get everything in writing!!!

steph2003 Guest

The baby furniture industry is horrible IMHO. I've heard so many horrors stories about missed delivery dates, damaged furniture, back ordered items, etc. It is almost like they know how to play on the emotions of pregnant hormonal women! I have my own baby furniture horror story too long to post or bore ya with! But no I dont think you are being unresonable & would talk to a store manager pronto. I've learned from past mistakes get everything in writing!!!