Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    mommyoftwo Guest

Default %$#@##@! collection agency (long)

I'm so frustrated right now I could scream. This is a long complicated story so I'll give you the short version. I was in the Air Force and they were paying for medical school when I got sick with chronic fatigue syndrome and became permanently disabled. I was dealing with the dept of defense who wanted me to pay back the money that was paid to me to cover medical school. Because of my disability I am unable to work and was in the process of proving my disability to have the debt erased. There was a mixup and my dept was sent to collections. So then I was in the process of filling out the paperwork to send to the treasury dept to prove my disability and have the debt erase and my debt was sold to another collection agency which I didn't even know. So I got a call today from an incredibly rude man telling me that I needed to get a second mortgage on the house or refinance the house so that I can pay back the money. We are barely surviving as it is. There is no way I can make payments on this even if I wasn't going to have the debt erased (I have been told multiple times that the disability will allow the debt to be erase so I'm not just being hopeful that I can avoid repayment). So anyway, this guy was claiming that because we pay our bills and have good credit, there is no way we can't pay off this debt. He claimed that the smallest monthly payment we would be allowed to make was almost half our monthly income. He kept giving me the run around about everything. I asked what I needed to do to have my info forwarded to the treasury dept and he wouldn't tell me-just said he would take care of it. I asked what forms I needed to fill out and he said "well, you claim you filled out paperwork before. Send me that." Of course, I sent this all in to the last collection agency who was much more helpful-at least as helpful as a collection agency can be. I think my debt was sold because the last place realized they weren't going to get the money and they wanted to get something out of it rather than lose it all together. He absolutely wouldn't give me any information. All I got was a fax number and his number. I finally had my husband call and he got the same runaround but was able to get a mailing address at least. I managed to keep it together while I was on the phone but I was so upset and angry that I was in tears when I got off. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do now because I couldn't get any information about what needs to be done. The dept of defense said that they will take the debt back but that I need to work with the collection agency to get the info they need. The collection agency won't tell me what info they need. It's a never ending circle. I'm just so frustrated. I hate being told that I'm an idiot and I hate dealing with jerks which this guy definitely was. When he wasn't getting anywhere with me he said, "well, you can have your husband call but I'm just going to tell him the same thing." When my husband actually did call, he was very rude to him as well and really annoyed that I actually had my husband call. I don't really expect any of you to have any answers. I just needed to vent.

mommyoftwo Guest

I'm so frustrated right now I could scream. This is a long complicated story so I'll give you the short version. I was in the Air Force and they were paying for medical school when I got sick with chronic fatigue syndrome and became permanently disabled. I was dealing with the dept of defense who wanted me to pay back the money that was paid to me to cover medical school. Because of my disability I am unable to work and was in the process of proving my disability to have the debt erased. There was a mixup and my dept was sent to collections. So then I was in the process of filling out the paperwork to send to the treasury dept to prove my disability and have the debt erase and my debt was sold to another collection agency which I didn't even know. So I got a call today from an incredibly rude man telling me that I needed to get a second mortgage on the house or refinance the house so that I can pay back the money. We are barely surviving as it is. There is no way I can make payments on this even if I wasn't going to have the debt erased (I have been told multiple times that the disability will allow the debt to be erase so I'm not just being hopeful that I can avoid repayment). So anyway, this guy was claiming that because we pay our bills and have good credit, there is no way we can't pay off this debt. He claimed that the smallest monthly payment we would be allowed to make was almost half our monthly income. He kept giving me the run around about everything. I asked what I needed to do to have my info forwarded to the treasury dept and he wouldn't tell me-just said he would take care of it. I asked what forms I needed to fill out and he said "well, you claim you filled out paperwork before. Send me that." Of course, I sent this all in to the last collection agency who was much more helpful-at least as helpful as a collection agency can be. I think my debt was sold because the last place realized they weren't going to get the money and they wanted to get something out of it rather than lose it all together. He absolutely wouldn't give me any information. All I got was a fax number and his number. I finally had my husband call and he got the same runaround but was able to get a mailing address at least. I managed to keep it together while I was on the phone but I was so upset and angry that I was in tears when I got off. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do now because I couldn't get any information about what needs to be done. The dept of defense said that they will take the debt back but that I need to work with the collection agency to get the info they need. The collection agency won't tell me what info they need. It's a never ending circle. I'm just so frustrated. I hate being told that I'm an idiot and I hate dealing with jerks which this guy definitely was. When he wasn't getting anywhere with me he said, "well, you can have your husband call but I'm just going to tell him the same thing." When my husband actually did call, he was very rude to him as well and really annoyed that I actually had my husband call. I don't really expect any of you to have any answers. I just needed to vent.

mommyoftwo Guest

mommyoftwo Guest

mommyoftwo Guest

mommyoftwo Guest

mommyoftwo Guest

mommyoftwo Guest

mommyoftwo Guest

bcky2 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: %$#@##@! collection agency (long)

big (((hugs))) i hate how thoes people can be. i had a bounced check from years ago that i didnt know about because it happened right when i moved and i thought it had cleared and it didnt befor i closed the account. well when i got a copy of my credit report i saw it on there and I contacted them for info to pay it off and they said they would send it. well i dont get anything at all in the mail but i do get a phone call a month later from this woman there screaming at me and calling me cuss words to the point i was crying. i asked her to remail something as i didnt get it and then she really went off about how i was a liar and i mean she got really nasty. i still come close to tears over a year later about what she said to me. i asked for her name and a supervisor and she hung up on me. i called back and the man that answered the phone already knew who i was and tried to tell me there are no supervisors and unless i was calling to pay this off they he didnt give a crap what this woman said and that she had every right to say it to me because i was a deadbeat who didnt pay for my stuff. all i wanted was something in the mail so i could have paper proof of it. ugh. im sorry i didnt mean to take over your bitch, i just wanted you to know that you are so not alone when it comes to how it is dealing with them. i really hope that you get it taken care of soon and they get off of your back.
    Becky, mom to hootie and nugget.

"People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast