Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default When parents let their preschool age children be rude!

It drives me crazy!

I have a friend (we were closer before kids, now it's hard because of how she lets things happen) whose 4.5 year old is so rude. She interrupts adults all of the time and gets mad if you don't stop your conversation and listen to her (and mom watches it all and never says anything). She's often downright rude to DD, and has a tough time playing with other children. So the other day we were at a movie together, and afterwards the little girl asks Emma if she wants to come over. I say that we can't, we have other things going on. So then the little girl asks Emma if she can come over to our house. Instead of telling her daughter it's impolite to ask yourself over to someone's house, the mom looks at me like "Can we?" I ignored it all and started commenting on the weather, thinking to myself you have got to be kidding me, is this really happening?!!! The 4 year old keeps asking and finally I say "maybe another day, but not today." The child starts crying, and mom says "It's OK, maybe later this week." WTF!!!

That felt good to vent. I cannot even imagine letting Emma behave this way, and she's a year younger. It's one thing to have a child who is being rude but the parent is working on it with the child, and another to let it happen uncorrected or even foster it. I feel bad for the little girl, she's going to have a tough time socializing when she starts school. I used to really like being around this friend, but now I dread it. It's really sad.
    Lisa
    Emma 11/02
    Adam 2/07
    Their hands may be small but their feelings are just as big as ours.

It drives me crazy!

I have a friend (we were closer before kids, now it's hard because of how she lets things happen) whose 4.5 year old is so rude. She interrupts adults all of the time and gets mad if you don't stop your conversation and listen to her (and mom watches it all and never says anything). She's often downright rude to DD, and has a tough time playing with other children. So the other day we were at a movie together, and afterwards the little girl asks Emma if she wants to come over. I say that we can't, we have other things going on. So then the little girl asks Emma if she can come over to our house. Instead of telling her daughter it's impolite to ask yourself over to someone's house, the mom looks at me like "Can we?" I ignored it all and started commenting on the weather, thinking to myself you have got to be kidding me, is this really happening?!!! The 4 year old keeps asking and finally I say "maybe another day, but not today." The child starts crying, and mom says "It's OK, maybe later this week." WTF!!!

That felt good to vent. I cannot even imagine letting Emma behave this way, and she's a year younger. It's one thing to have a child who is being rude but the parent is working on it with the child, and another to let it happen uncorrected or even foster it. I feel bad for the little girl, she's going to have a tough time socializing when she starts school. I used to really like being around this friend, but now I dread it. It's really sad.
    Lisa
    Emma 11/02
    Adam 2/07

It drives me crazy!

Lisa
    Emma 11/02
    Adam 2/07

It drives me crazy!

Lisa
    Emma 11/02
    Adam 2/07

It drives me crazy!

Lisa
    Emma 11/02
    Adam 2/07

It drives me crazy!

Lisa
    Emma 11/02
    Adam 2/07

It drives me crazy!

Lisa
    Emma 11/02
    Adam 2/07

It drives me crazy!

Lisa
    Emma 11/02
    Adam 2/07

It drives me crazy!

Lisa
    Emma 11/02
    Adam 2/07

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default RE: When parents let their preschool age children be rude!

Eek, sounds like that little girl gets to do whatever she wants. Her mother probably finds it easier to give in. It will also be difficult when you correct Emma for something that her friend was allowed to do. I do think parenting styles can affect friendships between the parents. Sorry, no concrete advice.
    Nicci

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast