Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    janeybwild is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default A petty gripe, but a question from it

Here’s the interaction at the deli counter this weekend.

Me: “a ¼ lb of Wisconsin cheddar please�
    Counter person “We don’t sell that�
    Me: “Oh….…It says Wisconsin cheddar in front of that cheese there�
    She: Says nothing, picks up the cheese slices it, bangs down the packet. Looks at me.
    Me: “a ¼ pound of Sarah Lee ham please�
    She: repeat of above.

So, I was mad at this rude and inappropriate CS, but being the non-confrontational whimp that I am, only had snarky comments in my head, which are still reverberating today, even to the point that I dreamed about it last night (gotta love those wonderfully vivid pregnancy dreams!). Anyway, what would have been a polite but firm way to let it be known that this was rude behavior. I would truly appreciate any scripts you may have for situations like these…when the bigger thing is to realize that she has a low level job and obviously has problems, but you just can’t let it go. This carries over into other areas of my life so would honestly appreciate some ideas. I am the QUEEN of what I wish I would have said. I don’t think it’s healthy, for me at least, to keep angst like this inside over something so petty. I’d like to say something short, non-aggressive, and to the point. Help!

She: Says nothing, picks up the cheese slices it, bangs down the packet. Looks at me.

So, I was mad at this rude and inappropriate CS, but being the non-confrontational whimp that I am, only had snarky comments in my head, which are still reverberating today, even to the point that I dreamed about it last night (gotta love those wonderfully vivid pregnancy dreams!). Anyway, what would have been a polite but firm way to let it be known that this was rude behavior. I would truly appreciate any scripts you may have for situations like these…when the bigger thing is to realize that she has a low level job and obviously has problems, but you just can’t let it go. This carries over into other areas of my life so would honestly appreciate some ideas. I am the QUEEN of what I wish I would have said. I don’t think it’s healthy, for me at least, to keep angst like this inside over something so petty. I’d like to say something short, non-aggressive, and to the point. Help!

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: A petty gripe, but a question from it

If you can recall the counter person's name, I suggest contacting the store manager to inform them that this person is unfamiliar with the deli stock and rude. Even though it is several days later, this person probably behaves in this same manner all the time.

As for a script, I think you did quite well specifically pointing out the labels of the items you were interested in. I understand your desire to be non-aggressive, but sometimes people just need a bit of prodding to be reminded they are being a donkey.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast