Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    janeybwild is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default A petty gripe, but a question from it

Here’s the interaction at the deli counter this weekend.

Me: “a ¼ lb of Wisconsin cheddar please�
    Counter person “We don’t sell that�
    Me: “Oh….…It says Wisconsin cheddar in front of that cheese there�
    She: Says nothing, picks up the cheese slices it, bangs down the packet. Looks at me.
    Me: “a ¼ pound of Sarah Lee ham please�
    She: repeat of above.

So, I was mad at this rude and inappropriate CS, but being the non-confrontational whimp that I am, only had snarky comments in my head, which are still reverberating today, even to the point that I dreamed about it last night (gotta love those wonderfully vivid pregnancy dreams!). Anyway, what would have been a polite but firm way to let it be known that this was rude behavior. I would truly appreciate any scripts you may have for situations like these…when the bigger thing is to realize that she has a low level job and obviously has problems, but you just can’t let it go. This carries over into other areas of my life so would honestly appreciate some ideas. I am the QUEEN of what I wish I would have said. I don’t think it’s healthy, for me at least, to keep angst like this inside over something so petty. I’d like to say something short, non-aggressive, and to the point. Help!

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: A petty gripe, but a question from it

If you can recall the counter person's name, I suggest contacting the store manager to inform them that this person is unfamiliar with the deli stock and rude. Even though it is several days later, this person probably behaves in this same manner all the time.

As for a script, I think you did quite well specifically pointing out the labels of the items you were interested in. I understand your desire to be non-aggressive, but sometimes people just need a bit of prodding to be reminded they are being a donkey.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

psophia17 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't have a script for you, I think you did the best you could under the circumstances, after all, you did end up with what you wanted, right?

I second Erica's suggestion to contact the store manager. I used to work at a grocery store, and customer comments always got back to the employee. Hopefully she'll get the point, or she'll get fired and you won't have to deal with her again.
    Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

<Me: “a ¼ lb of Wisconsin cheddar please�
    Counter person “We don’t sell that�
    Me: “Oh….…It says Wisconsin cheddar in front of that cheese there�
    She: Says nothing, picks up the cheese slices it, bangs down the packet. Looks at me.
    Me: “a ¼ pound of Sarah Lee ham please�
    She: repeat of above.>

YOU: "one cranky deli counter worker, please...oh, no...wait!...I already have that!"

;)

Nicole
    Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

http://b5.lilypie.com/nD9Jm5.png

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

ROFL! I am choking back my laughes here as to not cause alarm at work. That is too funny, Nicole! :-)
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

janeybwild is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yes, thanks for the laugh, I just wish I were that quick

"Seems like you're having a hard day. Lots of people been asking for stuff you don't have?"

When I'm in a bad mood, if somebody calls me for being rude, I just want to be ruder to them. (I don't, but it's just salt rubbed in wounds, you know?) If they're sympathetic, I feel guilty and try to do better. Plus, it does really seem to be good for ME to assume the best about people around me. So this kind of approach seems like it has the best outcome.

cbm Guest

This reminds me of an encounter I had at a bakery with a very snob worker who could have very well been the manager. At one point while looking at the photos of the cakes, I looked up and she was making faces about me to another client. She looked like deer in headlights when she realized I was looking at her and I said " Am I keeping you from something?" She stammered and I kept staring at her. Well, she surely changed attitude after that, for the better that is, even though it was too late. Needless to say, guess who doesn't shop there and tells everyone about it. Apparently she didn't think jeans and a shirt were high class enough (insert eye roll.) I would have loved to say more, but I guess I got the message across.

Much like you, I have always had answers in my head, but I have never said them out loud to people mostly because the good answers have always come after the fact. That time it just came out.

Claudia
    DS 12/18/04

"am i keeping you from something?" classic, I'll totally use that next time :)

I only use this with DH, because believe it or not I have to be in a certain mood to hand it back ;), but I often say "I realize English is not my first language, and perhaps you think I am not educated enough to read labels, BUT..." LOL

chiqanita Guest

Very strange exchange. I think you could've said something like:

"Oh, no Wisconsin cheddar then I'll have whatever that is" and point to what you 'thought' was Wisconsin cheddar.

Oooh, what would the deli person do if you brought the manager over to ask for some Wisconsin cheddar?!

ETA
    Not sure what to tell you about a scripted response, you should be true to yourself. Decide whether it's worth it and whether it really affects your life. You are the customer and the store wants your business, and you want to get your deli products without a hassle. I bet you can think of something better suited to your personality. I think it just means you were raised to treat people the way you would like to be treated.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast