Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    ChefGirl is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Love or Hate your IL's?

Is there a middle ground? Is it just natural to compare your MIL and FIL to your own parents? Do you love or hate your IL's or do you just tolerate them?

Personally, I just tolerate them. I will NEVER leave my kids with them unsupervised. MIL had a spring yo-yo type of toy. She gave it to DS to play. Well, he was playing it with FIL who let the spring go and ended springing back on DS' face. DS screamed and his face was swallon instantly. Araaaaaghghhh..... We were lucky that it didn't hit his eyes. Ugh.... Oh, get this, for DS's birthday last month, since everyone knows he likes lollipop, so MIL bought him these hard candy lollipops, let me add to say, Easter Lollipops wrapped in rubber bands. They are unopened of course. But, Easter? What the heck! Did she get them from dollar store clearance? Ugh!

I don't HATE them! I just don't care for them. I don't enjoy their company. I don't enjoy our so-called "family get together". It's a waste of time. We don't talk about anything in substance. They don't play with the kids. Unlike them, my parents actually sit down on the floor and play with them. SIL put her son on a "schedule" when he was only two months old. We had to arrange everything around his "schedule".

I can go on and on forever. Thanks for letting me vent!

Is there a middle ground? Is it just natural to compare your MIL and FIL to your own parents? Do you love or hate your IL's or do you just tolerate them?

Personally, I just tolerate them. I will NEVER leave my kids with them unsupervised. MIL had a spring yo-yo type of toy. She gave it to DS to play. Well, he was playing it with FIL who let the spring go and ended springing back on DS' face. DS screamed and his face was swallon instantly. Araaaaaghghhh..... We were lucky that it didn't hit his eyes. Ugh.... Oh, get this, for DS's birthday last month, since everyone knows he likes lollipop, so MIL bought him these hard candy lollipops, let me add to say, Easter Lollipops wrapped in rubber bands. They are unopened of course. But, Easter? What the heck! Did she get them from dollar store clearance? Ugh!

I don't HATE them! I just don't care for them. I don't enjoy their company. I don't enjoy our so-called "family get together". It's a waste of time. We don't talk about anything in substance. They don't play with the kids. Unlike them, my parents actually sit down on the floor and play with them. SIL put her son on a "schedule" when he was only two months old. We had to arrange everything around his "schedule".

kedss is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Love or Hate your IL's?

Well, my in-laws have been here for about a month and a half, so I try to get along with them, they are sweet people, but I have lost what little control I had of my life/house/whatever. They do take DS out without me, because they really good with him, and it gives me a break which I need, since he has hit the terrible 2s with a vengeance.

My mom who lives 45 minutes away only sees DS once or twice a month, so I'm glad the in-laws love hanging out with him.

Hope it gets better!

Kate
    mom to C, 12/03, H, 06/08 and R, 4/11

"When a woman says "What?" It's not because she didn't hear you. Its because she's giving you a chance to change what you said." ~Author Unknown(posting on FB)

"Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing up is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing." ~Phyllis Diller

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast