Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35
    Lynnie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: UPDATE: playgroup troubles

"I realize now that my frustration is really with my friend....and she admitted today that she's been kind of a wimp when it comes to discipline. She is a very passive person and it's just not in her nature to correct. "

that's probably why she got all upset and ran out when you corrected her child - because she knows she should be doing something and isn't, and felt inadequate, and felt all defensive and mad at herself, and therefore at you.

It sounds like you have a good solution, and maybe since she did open up to you somewhat, you guys will be able to reach the point where it is ok to help each other out by correcting each others kids if necessary. When my kids do something inappropriate, I APPRECIATE it if whichever of my friends is closest says something to them, and I have also had to tell a friend's child that we don't bite/push/hit/clobber people over the head with a toy riding horse, but it might be a different situation because we don't really have play groups per se, but its just a friend or two who happen to have kids the same age who get together, so the relationship between the adults is already there.

anyway, I am so glad it is working out, and FWIW, I would have been upset too, even without any preggo hormones going on !

Lynnie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: UPDATE: playgroup troubles

"I realize now that my frustration is really with my friend....and she admitted today that she's been kind of a wimp when it comes to discipline. She is a very passive person and it's just not in her nature to correct. "

that's probably why she got all upset and ran out when you corrected her child - because she knows she should be doing something and isn't, and felt inadequate, and felt all defensive and mad at herself, and therefore at you.

It sounds like you have a good solution, and maybe since she did open up to you somewhat, you guys will be able to reach the point where it is ok to help each other out by correcting each others kids if necessary. When my kids do something inappropriate, I APPRECIATE it if whichever of my friends is closest says something to them, and I have also had to tell a friend's child that we don't bite/push/hit/clobber people over the head with a toy riding horse, but it might be a different situation because we don't really have play groups per se, but its just a friend or two who happen to have kids the same age who get together, so the relationship between the adults is already there.

anyway, I am so glad it is working out, and FWIW, I would have been upset too, even without any preggo hormones going on !

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35