Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default My boobs are broken

This could probably go in the Feeding Forum, but since it's more of a general bitch, I decided to post it here.

Anyways, I feel like my boobies are broken. My 5-month old son has had 3 colds and 1 viral infection so far. It just feels like he's always sick. His latest cold has been the worst to date -- coughing, sneezing, runny nose, and because of those symptoms, he keeps waking up every 2 hours at night. Grrr. My little boy used to sleep 10 hours straight, and now I haven't been this sleep deprived since his newborn days. He also gave me and DH his cold, so the lack of sleep isn't helping us recover any faster.

I'm just so annoyed. Isn't breastfeeding supposed to reduce a baby's incidence of illness? I know it's not a panacea, but I just feel somewhat disappointed. I tell myself that maybe if I hadn't been breastfeeding him, he would have been sick even more often, but it's hard to imagine a baby being sick more than he already has. There's that thread in the Lounge about how you fortify your DC's immune system, and several people replied, "breastfeeding," which made me wonder what the heck is wrong with my boobs. Considering the effort and dedication it takes for me to nurse (and pump in a few weeks when I return to work), it would have been nice to see a tangible benefit! All I have right now is one constantly sick baby who loves my broken boobs so much that he refuses the bottle, which means I can't even let someone else take him for a few hours so that I can get some rest for myself!

Thanks for letting me vent. Theoretically, I know breastfeeding is best, yada yada yada, I just wish my son would stop getting sick so often!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Default My boobs are broken

This could probably go in the Feeding Forum, but since it's more of a general bitch, I decided to post it here.

Anyways, I feel like my boobies are broken. My 5-month old son has had 3 colds and 1 viral infection so far. It just feels like he's always sick. His latest cold has been the worst to date -- coughing, sneezing, runny nose, and because of those symptoms, he keeps waking up every 2 hours at night. Grrr. My little boy used to sleep 10 hours straight, and now I haven't been this sleep deprived since his newborn days. He also gave me and DH his cold, so the lack of sleep isn't helping us recover any faster.

I'm just so annoyed. Isn't breastfeeding supposed to reduce a baby's incidence of illness? I know it's not a panacea, but I just feel somewhat disappointed. I tell myself that maybe if I hadn't been breastfeeding him, he would have been sick even more often, but it's hard to imagine a baby being sick more than he already has. There's that thread in the Lounge about how you fortify your DC's immune system, and several people replied, "breastfeeding," which made me wonder what the heck is wrong with my boobs. Considering the effort and dedication it takes for me to nurse (and pump in a few weeks when I return to work), it would have been nice to see a tangible benefit! All I have right now is one constantly sick baby who loves my broken boobs so much that he refuses the bottle, which means I can't even let someone else take him for a few hours so that I can get some rest for myself!

Thanks for letting me vent. Theoretically, I know breastfeeding is best, yada yada yada, I just wish my son would stop getting sick so often!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: My boobs are broken

Just replying to offer you {{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}. Mothering is a very frustrating occupation, especially when we know we are doing the right things and aren't getting the expected result. More {{{{{HUGS}}}}}.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Just replying to offer you {{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}. Mothering is a very frustrating occupation, especially when we know we are doing the right things and aren't getting the expected result. More {{{{{HUGS}}}}}.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

I've been disappointed that a few of the things I chose for baby haven't felt as wonderful as I'd been led to believe. Sometimes in promoting the value of X, people leave no room for the possibility that you may not experience each of those benefits.

I'm sure you had various reasons for choosing to breastfeed and that you and your baby are receiving many of those benefits, even if it hasn't been a magic bullet in terms of avoiding colds. I'm sure your DH and baby think your breasts are perfect, and I'm sure they are!

Hope everyone gets better soon.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

I've been disappointed that a few of the things I chose for baby haven't felt as wonderful as I'd been led to believe. Sometimes in promoting the value of X, people leave no room for the possibility that you may not experience each of those benefits.

I'm sure you had various reasons for choosing to breastfeed and that you and your baby are receiving many of those benefits, even if it hasn't been a magic bullet in terms of avoiding colds. I'm sure your DH and baby think your breasts are perfect, and I'm sure they are!

Hope everyone gets better soon.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ok, this title alone is worthy of a response on that merit, ALONE! Honey, if your boobs are broken, mine are downright defected. I have borderline DDD boobs, and in a cruel twist of fate, these huge boobs couldn't make any milk due to a medical condition and complications after c-section. So, DS got nine days of breastmilk, then formula. Ultimately, I'm very glad we formula-fed and would do it again. I do wish he'd had the benefits of breastmilk, but such is life. Sometimes, dude, the boobs just don't pony up. Can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em.

Don't worry about your little dude being sick. I could be wrong, and I don't in any way want to anger anyone, cuz I'm a huge breastfeeding supporter, but I think we do ourselves a disservice to ascribe to the idea that breastfeeding will eliminate colds/viruses that DCs would have gotten without. We pick up stuff all the time just transferring crap from a public revolving door to our skin to our babies. Daily! The benefits are there, absolutely no question. But the bottom line, our little guys are gonna get sick top some degree, anyway.

I've been sick since forever, and I was venting to my doctor, and he said, "I was never sick a day in my life until I had kids." You're not broken, your boobs are just fine, and your DS sounds like he's right on par with the rest of the little guys out there.

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ok, this title alone is worthy of a response on that merit, ALONE! Honey, if your boobs are broken, mine are downright defected. I have borderline DDD boobs, and in a cruel twist of fate, these huge boobs couldn't make any milk due to a medical condition and complications after c-section. So, DS got nine days of breastmilk, then formula. Ultimately, I'm very glad we formula-fed and would do it again. I do wish he'd had the benefits of breastmilk, but such is life. Sometimes, dude, the boobs just don't pony up. Can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em.

Don't worry about your little dude being sick. I could be wrong, and I don't in any way want to anger anyone, cuz I'm a huge breastfeeding supporter, but I think we do ourselves a disservice to ascribe to the idea that breastfeeding will eliminate colds/viruses that DCs would have gotten without. We pick up stuff all the time just transferring crap from a public revolving door to our skin to our babies. Daily! The benefits are there, absolutely no question. But the bottom line, our little guys are gonna get sick top some degree, anyway.

I've been sick since forever, and I was venting to my doctor, and he said, "I was never sick a day in my life until I had kids." You're not broken, your boobs are just fine, and your DS sounds like he's right on par with the rest of the little guys out there.

proggoddess Guest

Yeah, I hear you. If BFing cures allergies, how come my DD can't have any milk, eggs, peanuts, nuts or fish until she's 3? Sometimes genes (or the environment) are just stronger than milk.

But really, in the long run, whatever he's sick with now, he'll be immune to in the future, and whatever he didn't catch, your antibodies in your milk have him covered. He'll be bulletproof as far as germs go when he's an adult! :)

Hope your little guy recovers soon so you can all get some rest!

octmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

More hugs and sympathy from me. DS nursed until he was approx. 21.5 months old and still had chronic ear infections until he finally got tubes at 20 months. DD nurses now and has already had a double ear infection that took two rounds of antibiotics to clear up. :(

Even though he has been sick a lot, your DS is getting great nutrients from you. Obviously, he is also getting a lot of comfort from nursing as well. Hard on mom, but makes being under-the-weather a bit more bearable for baby. ((hugs))

Jerilyn
    DS, Sean 10/03
    DD, Katie 3/06

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast