Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: "Oh, you're so big/small for 6 months"...SHUT UP!!!

No kidding!

I was in a yoga class with someone who was due just before me and she was so tiny (it was also her 3rd) - I commented that i felt like a whale in comparison to her and she said, "Oh, maybe you are having twins?"

Nice.

I think someone should design a pregnancy t-shirt that just says STfU on it.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Here's a classic. On the day of my grandmother's funeral I, as the oldest grandchild, went up to say a few words on behalf of the grandkids. Later my dad said to me, "you know, when you went up there I suddenly realized you were not only getting bigger outward, you're also getting bigger sideways! Chuckle. You know you don't want to get too big, maybe you need to start exercising or something."

This is a man who has been married for almost 40 years, and has raised 3 daughters. When will he figure out there are certain things you don't say to pregnant women? Even Dh was amused/shocked and said, "okay the most 'do not say' thing you could ever say to a pregnant woman.'"

I LOVE my dad. But he is really clueless when it comes to these things.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default "Oh, you're so big/small for 6 months"...SHUT UP!!!

Am I just being hormonal and cranky to be getting really annoyed with the constant barage of "When are you due Oh, you're so big already!" or "When are you due? Really, you're so small still!" Sometimes these happen within minutes of eachother, and it's hard to just grin and bear it. These both happened in the same day after I had just been measured by my doctor who said I was right on!

Can there be a Public Service Announcement put out somehow to give people other things to say to pregnant women???
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

Amen.

Alaina
    Alex Feb '03
    and #2 in early summer '07

Oh, it never stops. I was gigantic/tiny when I was pregnant (umm, I passed for not pregnant until 6 months!) and then DD was gigantic/tiny when she was born and she still is at age 3. She's pretty big, actually, so periodically I have to resist the temptation to say "No, actually, she's not tiny, you're just WRONG." I particularly hate it when I smile and say "She has a big vocabulary, so people tend to think she's older than she is, but actually she's a pretty normal-sized three-year-old" and people still say "No, she's tiny". I buy the kid her clothes; I'd have noticed if she was small for her age, really I would. I don't mind so much when they said I was small (I was) or that she's big (she is) but trying to be polite to the crazy people wears me down eventually. If you have no idea what you're talking about, don't say it, OK?

octmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You are so right. I'm not pregnant now, but I was a bridesmaid in my SIL's wedding a little more than a month before DS was born. I was huge, he was a huge baby (over ten pounds). SIL had the bridesmaids wear any long black formal dress, and I found a maternity dress that was all right. I thought I looked OK for a very pregnant woman. One of MIL's friends approached me at the reception and said that she saw me from the back walking up the aisle and didn't realize I was pregnant at first. I thought-- oh, she's being sweet because she knows that I feel like a whale. Then she went on to say that she didn't realize I was pregnant until I got to the altar and turned AND IT WAS LIKE A WATCHING A PLANET ROTATING. Bitch.

Jerilyn
    DS, 10/03
    DD, 3/06

purpleeyes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Oh, a thousand times yes! I am not really that big yet, not even wearing maternity clothes, just 'fat' clothes, you know? And at work last week someone said to me: "good thing you announced it to us, since you're beginning to put on weight." Ug, I get it, don't tell a pg. women she is gaining weight!! It should be a rule, honestly-Tell her she looks great, ask her how she feels, but do not mention weight.

I can't wait until I really show. Wonder what people will say then?

Beth
    B

DS
    DD

>I think someone should design a pregnancy t-shirt that just
    >says STfU on it.

I think this may be the best idea I've ever heard. :)

I came soooooo close to making myself a shirt or two
    that said something like "No, I am NOT having twins" or
    "Yes, I'm sure there's only ONE baby in there".
    It got really old being asked that question for the entirety of my pregnancy by THE SAME PERSON a couple of times a week :P !
    Sheesh, people!

People are HORRIBLE. I will never forget some of the awful things people I work with said to me when I was pregnant. I suppose they'll all be talking when I head back to work in a couple of weeks and haven't lost the weight (and there's a LOT of weight to lose!).
    One wretched woman actually had the gall to ask me how much I had gained. I had to force a smile and say, "Why, that's a very personal question... why would you want to know something like that?" I thought it would maybe embarass her, but she just replied, "Oh, you know, because you're just so BIG!"
    People are really just wretched sometimes. And it is SO hard to find the power to smile through it.
    (((((hugs)))))
    they're all just dumber than we are.
    :)
    Liz
    Proud mama to DS1: 2007
    and DS2:2010

Life is too short to wear boring socks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast