Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default RE: "Oh, you're so big/small for 6 months"...SHUT UP!!!

LOL!

Sorry, I know the comment was really rude, but it really just made me laugh.

IMO, the *only* thing you should say to a pregnant woman regarding her looks is just how good they are. Not tired, not big, not small, no beer belly comments, no twins/triplets comments, no comparisons to buildings, vehicles, or animals. Period.
    Jen, mom to
    Elliot (8/2/05) and
    Lexi (5/19/07)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." --John Lennon

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes! That's it! If they could just say "you look great!" Even when I don't believe them, it still gives me a boost to hear people say that! I am going to be sure to tell all pregnant women I encounter in the future that they look beautiful!
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

I love the idea about the STFU shirt!

My favorite comment thus far has been "wow, you are really filling out a lot more this time than you did last time!" Thanks. As if I needed a reminder that my rear end is growing exponentially. Thanks.

http://b2.lilypie.com/K-PVm6/.png[/img][/url]

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev230pr___.png[/img][/url]

I would never forget how this one male friend of mine said every time he saw me pregnant "wow, you are fat" or "wow, you are fatter than last time". He must have thought it was a compliment or something :eyeroll. I get telling him that I am not "fat" but "big" and that it's good for the baby. At one point, I told him if he comments on me being fat one more time, I'll choke him. I think it helped. Good thing I've known him since we were 7 years old.
    Mom to DS born on Thanksgiving 2003

nov04 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I can definintely sympathize. I was so happy with myself this week when I saw a women looking ready to pop. I kept my mouth shut then heard later she was only 6m along. Holy moly!!!!
    Jos
    dd1 10/2004 prenatal stroke survivor w/ speech delay and dysarthria
    dd2 02/2007 asthma

SummerBaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Amen, sister. IMO, unless you're going to tell me I look great, keep your mouth shut!

When I was pregnant with DD I had a woman, who weighs no less than 300 lbs mind you, insist to me that I must be having twins since I was so huge. I also had a complete stranger walk up to me in the mall and say "You must be having a girl- you're so big and girls make you fat." This time all I am hearing is "Wow, you're even bigger than you were last time!" As if I am not keenly aware of that fact......

Val
    DD 2.5 years old
    another summer baby coming in 2007!

moncheechee Guest

Default There's gotta be another one in there!

Just on Sunday I told some friends I had not seen in a while that I was almost 5 months pregnant. One was like "oh you have to be having twins" and I said "uh no". I have had 3 ultrasounds and heard the heartbeat of one baby everytime I have went to the Dr. She still said "oh well that doesn't matter there could still be one hiding in there". OMG are you kidding me?!

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Why can't people say something like:
    'You look wonderful!'
    or
    'You look completely glowing and happy, pregnancy suits you'
    Instead they tell you (and this is a real example of what someone said to me at 6 mos) : You look like a turkey!
    Suddenly the idea of a STFU T-shirt sounds good.
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

aa2mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

By the end of my pregnancy I was ready to cut people off with "Unless it's 'You look great', I don't want to hear it". What possesses people to think that a detailed analysis of where and how you're gaining weight during pregnancy is a charming way of making small talk? When someone told me that I must be carrying twins, and I told them that the ultrasound only showed one baby they actually tried to explain to me how the second one was lined up and hiding directly behind the first one. I also had people insist that I was carrying a boy despite telling them that the ultrasound showed girl. Umm, no, she's here, and she is indeed a girl. Sheesh, I'm all for the STFU shirt.
    ~Heidi
    Mama to DS 12/03 & DD 2/07

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

People are idiots.

The only appropriate thing to say is, "You look great!"

And I now say it to pretty much every pregnant person I encounter.

Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast