Bens Momma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default DS's Regent arrived damaged from Southwest flight!!! (Long)

As if it's not bad enough returning to reality & home from vacation, DS's Regent (under a year old and in great condition!) arrived at baggage claim unbagged and damaged x( We also checked DS #2's Marathon and it arrived bagged and just fine (thank goodness.) Both seats arrived from the flight going there with no problems. We had a similar problem with neither seat getting bagged on our return flight from the same destination last year, so I made sure to specifically ask them to bag the seats and stood there to watch that they did in fact do it this time. Last year we were told (by SWA personnel) not to use curbside check-in as they tend not to bag the carseats and/or treat them as carefully. Who knows why that is....anyway we took their advice and did normal check-in this year. Last year the damage was to the Marathon's cover and consisted of a tear and some scuff marks so we just got a new cover and moved on. This time the damage to the Regent consists of a hole/scuff in the cover and the metal leveling bar on the base is completely bent--WTF???? Will call Britax, but I'm assuming that this affects the safety of the seat as it can't be installed correctly as a result. I waited till we arrived home to call Southwest to make a claim since my brother (who happens to be a parapalegic) was waiting for us in his handicap modified van at curbside. I had asked him to pick us up and drive home. Even though I started calling SWA to make a claim as soon as we got home, I was informed that I had to make a claim in person within 4 hours of our arrival. At this point it was about 9:30 pm, uh yeah I'm going to drag my 2 kids ages 3 & 1 and a 60+ lb carseat back to the airport over 50 minutes away!!! I asked that they make a note of my claim in their system at that time, but with my great luck their computer systems were down (I kept trying for the next 3 1/2 hours). They suggested that I call the SWA baggage claim @ the airport and handle it with them. I called over 14 times and either got a busy signal or message that the voicemail box was full. I was finally able to leave them a message at 12:20 am----I have yet to have my call returned four days later!!! I called the corporate office the next morning and got the same answer about filing a claim within 4 hours and in person. After just about losing it with the rep. she agreed to make a note of my experience in their system and told me I would have to write a letter to Customer Relations. I am extremely POed that they have such crappy customer service, that my almost $300 carseat was obviously handled improperly and damaged!!!! Nice welcome back from vacation! What are the chances that Southwest will do anything for us????

Thanks for listening!
    Momma to 2 DS

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: DS's Regent arrived damaged from Southwest flight!!! (Long)

I'm sorry. :) IF it's any consolation if your cover is in good condition you can probably ebay it to recoup a smidgeon of the costs of a new one.

Did they indicate that bagging at check-in was safer than gate-check in? We have only traveled once where we checked a car seat and we gate checked it.
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Ugh, that would make me mad too. I know there are some posters who frequent this board that have worked for different airlines (not sure about SW in particular) so maybe if you posted your question about cs/recouping in the Lounge, you'd get an answer.

Why can't anything be simple???

Lisa
    Mom to Gator July 2003
    And Cha-Cha July 2005
    and surprise! twins due 11/07!

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Yeah, we've had a carseat and stroller wrecked--Delta and NWA. The carseat came out with a bent handle that couldn't even be put down and the hood was broken off. I figured who knows what else it's been through, so I went right down to bagage claim (Delta) and demanded a full replacement cost. They tried to say it could've been preexisting damage, but the gate check tag has a place to mark if it's already damaged. They did authnorize a $150 replacement and I had to send in the receipt. I think going right away to bagage claim so they can see your damaged item helps. I know it is really a pain with kids at the airport.

Now, when the stroller wheel was completely broken off on NWA, we went right down to baggage and they said they would call us within 2 days. No call and no record of our claim #. We were given an address to send a claim letter and pictures to, what a pain. it's been 2 months and no word. They have NO phone # where you can reach a live person.

I really think they should be responsible for damaged items. If they were to lose the contents of your suitcase, they would be responsible. I think getting refunds from airlines are like pulling teeth. But, to make a long story short, some are better than others. I think you should take pics of the carseat, quote Britax as saying that you need to get it replaced, etc. Try to get a live person to talk to if at all possible. This is why we have a Scenera for travel, and now I will only bring an umbrella stroller on planes.

Sorry, and I really hope you get fully compensated!
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ugh, this sucks. I've been there.

I understand that your brother was waiting, but really, to get any kind of compensation for damage from any airline, you shouldn't leave the airport without having made a claim. I know you can't go back in time, so now is the time to capitalize on SWA's pride in customer service

Southwest destroyed my P3 stroller about 3 years ago. It didn't look all that bad when it came off the plane, the handle bar and footrest were stuck, but the stroller was still totally usable. We still went to the desk and made a claim. Good thing! I sent it back to Peg Perego and it needed a whole new frame! At first they were going to offer us $30, but I pushed it (I've been a Rapid Rewards customer and loyal passenger for years) and I got them to cover the entire $150 repair cost plus shipping.

Keep calling and pushing for reimbursement. Remain calm, share the facts. You'll get something!

~ deb
    DS born at home 12/03
    Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/sty...onths-bfar.jpg

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I'm so sorry-- that sounds terrible.

When we sat in the aiport for our last vacation, we watched a baggage cart take a hard turn and a carseat fall off. It had a clear plastic bag, which apparently got dislodged because it blew off. I sat there watching out the window for a couple minutes hoping a baggage handler or other personnel would notice, and no one did. I finally told the gate attendant that there was a carseat sitting out on the ground between a couple of planes & it got picked up a few minutes later. The poor family probably wondered just what happened to it.

I'm amazed at the things I saw looking out the windows at baggage handling. I would guess part of the issue is that so much more is checked than it used to be, but gosh, that doesn't make the owners of damaged items feel any better.

I have no idea about the chances on your claim, but lots & lots of sympathy.
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I think another issue is staff compensation conflicts. I don't think they're too motivated right now, and have noticed NWA baggage getting particularly rough treatment--i.e. brand new suitcase totally frayed and scuffed up.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Bens Momma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for the ideas and sharing stories of sympathy! For what it's worth, we DID take pictures of the seat to show the damage on our camera with a time and date stamp. I hope this will help as well. I composed the letter yesterday and did try to be firm, calm, and capitalize on Southwest's pride in customer service/satisfaction. We'll see what happens. Wish us luck and if there are any airline employees or ex-employees out there reading the posts, please offer any suggestions/tips you have!

TIA-
    Momma to 2 DS

denna is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Im sorry about the horrible experience you had just trying to file a claim. I would be so furious too.

Just a couple of ideas that may help now or in the future, do you have traveler's insurance?! Filing a claim w/ them may be beneficial (if you have a policy). Also there is a great bag that we purchased at Walmart.com that we use when we travel and do not use the seat on the plane. Here is a link to the bag:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4698052

Hope you are able to get this resolved quickly. Good luck!
    Denna

Mama to THREE adorable kiddos

Mommy's KINDERGARTENER DS1 born Apr/2006 happily harnessed in his Frontier
    Mommy's belly baby DD born Jul/2009 content in her Boulevard
    Mommy's little hedgehog DS2 born May/2011; riding unhappily in his Chaperone