Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why not just give your kid a soda

I was at the mall today. As I got on the elevator, a family got off with a baby in the stroller. The baby was 5 months at the most. There she was happily guzzling down a bottle of what looked liked full strength apple juice.

I told my DH, and he calmly replied "Well, it is cheaper than milk."

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

Default RE: Why not just give your kid a soda

I didn't do it at 5mo, but I've given my kids full octane juice - especially when I've been out of the house and ran out of their sippies of apple-flavoured water. Hell, I was at the mall yesterday and forgot the girls' cups. The only thing I had (short of going back and standing in ridiculously long lunch lines) was green tea. With sugar. I'm sure that I would've probably gotten horrible looks of disdain for giving some to my 2-1/2yo. But as far as the baby and the apple juice, I'm not seeing why it's such a horrible thing. It could've been Pediacare, or maybe the kiddo is allergic to milk and they ran out of formula. Yes, 5mo is a little young for juice, but I don't think it's comparable to giving the kid a bottle of Mountain Dew or Coke.

JMO

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I hear you, and see it all of the time. Some people just don't know, unfortunately.
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My SIL and brother were giving their kids soda in bottles at that age so I understand the frustration. It drives me batty.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I have a friend who's 5-6 month old dd has to have 4 oz of straight up apple or prune juice a day, or she will get horribly constipated. Watered down juice doesn't work. It makes her crazy, but she doesn't have any choice. Her Dh doesn't understand why she can't get over it, but yes, we all know how much sugar is in juice.

OTOH, I've purchased these First Year's sippy cups and the package says there's a line that shows the ped's rec for amount of juice per day. I think some people don't know that rec is for the maximum amount of juice if you must. Instead they think a baby/toddler should be getting that much juice (10 oz!) a day.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

tarynsmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

At the zoo today, I saw a little boy (MAYBE a year old) with a cheesy poof in each hand and a bottle of Mountain dew sitting next to him (it MIGHT have been the mom's mountain dew, I saw him chewing on the top but not actually drinking it - DD's done that to my water bottles before) but I KNOW he ate an insane amount of cheesy poofs.
    Heather, mommy to Taryn, January 16, 2006. And Baby Asher! Born February 25, 2009.

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician in Pittsburgh PA.

Interested in wearing your baby in the Pittsburgh Area? Check out Pittsburgh Babywearers at www.pittsburghbabywearers.com!

SAHMIL is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Are you certain it wasn't Britney Spears' child? LOL!

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Travis Barker is ALWAYS pictured with his tot and a Dr. Brown's bottle full of orange-juice-looking stuff!
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

i agree with OP that babies don't need juice and it isn't a good choice for them. but i also agree with marissa and other posters that we just don't know why he had it. my friend has been tortured about giving her DS (10m) a bottle of juice every day because he has such severe constipation. i keep reassuring her that he NEEDS it (she tried all the right foods, etc. first, but they just didn't work) and she won't be struck down by the no-juice-for-baby-gods.
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The mother should have AT Least put the liquid in an opaque sippy cup. That way no one could tell what the baby was drinking.

Lisa
    Mom to Gator July 2003
    And Cha-Cha July 2005
    and surprise! twins due 11/07!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast