Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default RE: Well they havent been recalled

personal opinion here - not as a mod!

I saw that pinned topic in the Lounge, and honestly thought WTF. All the 'possible' warnings/threats are not going to do anybody any good if it's after the fact. Now I'm supposed to be all freaked out that I used Avent bottles for both of my kids??!

I guess that goes hand in hand with the advice I received about lowering my childrens' IQs by giving them formula instead of BM.

Yes, both 'suggestions' have pissed me off. You know what? You do the best you can do under the best of circumstances. I'm sure that all the cell phone use, microwave cooking, laptops on you lap will cause our collective demise to come so much earlier.

In the mean time, you can find me doing my ostrich impression over there in the sand.

HMPH.

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

personal opinion here - not as a mod!

I saw that pinned topic in the Lounge, and honestly thought WTF. All the 'possible' warnings/threats are not going to do anybody any good if it's after the fact. Now I'm supposed to be all freaked out that I used Avent bottles for both of my kids??!

I guess that goes hand in hand with the advice I received about lowering my childrens' IQs by giving them formula instead of BM.

Yes, both 'suggestions' have pissed me off. You know what? You do the best you can do under the best of circumstances. I'm sure that all the cell phone use, microwave cooking, laptops on you lap will cause our collective demise to come so much earlier.

In the mean time, you can find me doing my ostrich impression over there in the sand.

HMPH.

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

Puddy73 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'll share my similar bitch. When I was dropping DD off at preschool this morning I saw a baby that looked to be around 2 months old forward facing in an infant seat in the back seat of a truck. To make it even worse, the seat was angled so that the poor baby was almost upright and slumping against the straps. I walked over to admire the baby and offered to show her how to install the seat rearfacing. The mom just sort of waved it off and said that he liked to face forward. What the heck do you do in that situation? Call the police on her when she drives away? We are in a small town and I seriously doubt that the local police know anything about car seats, other than that babies need to be in one.

Jennifer
    Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

Puddy73 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'll share my similar bitch. When I was dropping DD off at preschool this morning I saw a baby that looked to be around 2 months old forward facing in an infant seat in the back seat of a truck. To make it even worse, the seat was angled so that the poor baby was almost upright and slumping against the straps. I walked over to admire the baby and offered to show her how to install the seat rearfacing. The mom just sort of waved it off and said that he liked to face forward. What the heck do you do in that situation? Call the police on her when she drives away? We are in a small town and I seriously doubt that the local police know anything about car seats, other than that babies need to be in one.

Jennifer
    Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

ITA. I've wondered for a long time now about parents who have decided to base their parenting decisions on what their children want. Let's see, if I made my decisions based on what my kids want versus what's good for them:

my kids would both be ff
    they would eat chicken nuggets and ice cream for every meal
    they would never bathe
    they would go to bed at midnight
    they would never get a haircut

That mom who used the excuse that he likes to face forward just kills me. That's got to be the lamest excuse I"ve ever heard. And when he's a teen and wants to do drugs are you going to use the same excuse for that too???

Lisa
    Mom to Gator July 2003
    And Cha-Cha July 2005
    and surprise! twins due 11/07!

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

ITA. I've wondered for a long time now about parents who have decided to base their parenting decisions on what their children want. Let's see, if I made my decisions based on what my kids want versus what's good for them:

my kids would both be ff
    they would eat chicken nuggets and ice cream for every meal
    they would never bathe
    they would go to bed at midnight
    they would never get a haircut

That mom who used the excuse that he likes to face forward just kills me. That's got to be the lamest excuse I"ve ever heard. And when he's a teen and wants to do drugs are you going to use the same excuse for that too???

Lisa
    Mom to Gator July 2003
    And Cha-Cha July 2005
    and surprise! twins due 11/07!

It DOES seem a bit over the top to me for you to expect a parent to throw out what could amount to more than a hundred dollars worth of bottles simply because you read on a website that it might be harmful. If someone told me that, I'd seriously question the source of that information and would not jump to any conclusions. I certainly would not go home and throw away all my bottles.

There is a SLIGHT risk in everything. Putting your child into a car (no matter how safe the seat is) is taking a risk, feeding your child is taking a risk, putting them on a playground is a risk. It's all about how comofortable you are with that risk. Apparently that Mom is comfortable that the bottle is safe because the government allows it here. That's fine, it's her choice.

Default My take on it...

I have always kind of had the same take on things that Marissa has. I had read some reports in the past but thought it was a bit overkill and continued to use the Avent and Dr. Browns bottles for all 3 of my formula fed kids. You can seriously go crazy trying to figure out all of things that "might" cause cancer and illness.

That being said after this recent report I did decide to take some action and get rid of our bottles and sippy cups with BPA. I try to keep them safe in the car by extended RF and do other things to protect them although there isn't a significant risk of them happening so why not do this. If I can get rid of one thing that might make them sick down the road why not.

Of course now that I have pulled my head out of the sand so to speak my head is now swimming with all of the information. :)

Tara

http://lilypie.com/pic/070612/X6DW.jpg http://b5.lilypie.com/IwLRm5/.png

http://lilypie.com/pic/070612/Wd24.jpg http://b3.lilypie.com/0pI0m5/.png

http://lilypie.com/pic/070612/mFCc.jpg http://b1.lilypie.com/a7JXm5/.png

tarynsmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Well, MY child really enjoys running out into the street. I guess I should just let her, huh?
    Heather, mommy to Taryn, January 16, 2006. And Baby Asher! Born February 25, 2009.

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician in Pittsburgh PA.

Interested in wearing your baby in the Pittsburgh Area? Check out Pittsburgh Babywearers at www.pittsburghbabywearers.com!

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: My take on it...

Dh and I were the same way. After this last report he finally decided let's go with glass bottles, then we can totally avoid the plastics issue. Because at $5 for 3 bottles it's such a measly investment in playing it safe. But he wants to hang on to the old bottles just in case Arwyn won't take the new nipples (we're going through the battle of the bottle with her too), so we won't be kicking ourselves for giving them up.

I think you do what you reasonably can with what you know, and everything beyond that you can't bother worrying about.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast