Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default RE: Well they havent been recalled

>I saw that pinned topic in the Lounge, and honestly thought
    >WTF. All the 'possible' warnings/threats are not going to do
    >anybody any good if it's after the fact.

True, but it's not "after the fact" for a lot of people; I'm glad the post is there. Yeah, maybe it sucks that we used Avent bottles w/ E, but I'm not angry about the warning (and we're using Playtex dropins with L).
    Jen, mom to
    Elliot (8/2/05) and
    Lexi (5/19/07)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." --John Lennon

Right, but there are also many members here that are beyond the bottle stage for a couple years now, or have just had their 2nd or 3rd kiddo and have a stash of 30+ bottles (as I did - we had both sizes).

As a PP mentioned, if it really was so much of an immediate threat the FDA would have pulled the bottles. I think it's the 'possible' or 'potential' that bugs me more than anything else. There are SOOOO many 'possible' or 'potential' threats in daily life, that this is just one more to add to the list.

Again, JMO.

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

this is a risk that can be eliminated, though. that's where the difference is for me...sure when i first heard the info (almost two years ago) i was like...i can't spend the money on new bottles...but when it came down to it, i realized there was little i could control and this is something that i could do something about.

i personally get irritated with the defensiveness in the reactions of some parents when hearing this piece of info. i know we can't erase the past, but certainly it's something to keep in mind for the future...

Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I think this goes back to

When you know better you do better.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Unfortunately, I think that there is enough evidence to show that this IS a problem. And yeah, with both my first 2 kids I used HAND ME DOWN Avent bottles after I finished nursing them. Those bottles are scratched up and have seen some major action!!! It's too late for my first 2 babies but not for my next two. Thank god for that post. I definitely won't use those bottles with the twins!!!

We can't forget that a lot of people who use the Fields' book are first time moms who are buying this stuff for the first time and looking for direction and help.

Lisa
    Mom to Gator July 2003
    And Cha-Cha July 2005
    and surprise! twins due 11/07!

i noted that the article referenced said that there is NO evidence that HARM has come to those who used the plastics. they only found that the plastic COULD get into the food/beverage consumed.

kinda like how some things you take when you are pregnant are a "level 2" meaning that there is no evidence that something is harmful, but also no evidence that it is DEFINITELY not.

my kids were BF'd and only occasionally used the avent bottles. and so far, they are a-ok. i am just not going to panic about something i already did and can't undo. and if i DO have another kiddo, i will BF again and hardly ever use a bottle. i would probably need something new and would get the recommended brands then. and if we adopted and FF, i would get the recommended brands. but i am not going to stress myself when i can't do anything about it.
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My brother has decided to keep using Dr. Brown's with his daughter. I think that is his prerogative. However, what I like to try and remember is that many, many parents are just as aware as me. Sure enough when I asked him if he had seen the information, he had already read up on the matter. Sometimes it is easy to forget that other parents may not need our information. Still, I share the frustrations on the willfully ignorant (FF 2 month olds etc). It is a balancing act between being informative and being a PITA sometimes.

****Rocking out while parenting my smart little munchkin Toby. Just trying to do good in the world, a little at a time. Words to live by: it is *never* the wrong time to do the right thing :)

The problem though with the BPA example is that you really can read everything you can get your hands on about the topic and still not be tossing bottles. If someone approached me assuming that I'm uninformed they'd get an earful!

It may seem that it's best to always act on these types of warnings, but I think there are some downsides. I worry that a scare like this distracts from more substantiated safety concerns, that someone with $100 to spend buys new bottles instead of a new carseat. I also worry about what everyone's doing with all these bottles. I would hope that with an official recall there would be specific instructions for disposal and there's been nothing here about that. There's uncertainty about what BPA may do in the human body, and just as much about how it even gets there (orally taken it seems to be almost immediately eliminated in urine). So we're now adding even more of the stuff to the landfill where it can do who knows what? How is that safer?

We all have limited time, money, and attention and need some sort of filter to help us wade through all of these concerns to stay sane. I just don't consider the Fields to be an authority on this topic. For example, I think they're great at assessing how easy a carseat is to use, but they're not running crash tests. With government reports on the topic (the EU's is the one I read all of) you get in-depth analysis of the research not a quick blog post. And when I read that type of analysis from a group I consider a true authority in the matter I'm with the annoying people who aren't doing anything. But my head is not in the sand...or anywhere else ;).

-M

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3