g-mama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Awful night at the movies last night - can't get it out of my mind

Dh and I had a sitter and went to see Superbad at the movie theater last night. After we were seated, this young couple with a baby (I'm guessing right around 12 months old) comes and sits down next to us - one seat was separating me and the mom. The couple was really young to be parents, maybe late teenagers. The movie started at 9:50!

The dad comes in with a Coke, popcorn and M&Ms. Before the movie started, the little boy had had some of each. Throughout the movie, which was really raunchy, btw, the baby fussed and squirmed. The parents continually tried shoving a baby bottle in his mouth and "shhhing" him. He didn't want the bottle and I could see them forcing it in his mouth, I think in an attempt to put him to sleep. Yeah...right. He kept shaking his head side to side with his mouth shut tight. About halfway through the movie, they started getting exasperated with him and tossing him back and forth in a rough manner. They didn't want to deal with him and were angry that he was ruining their movie. I was so sad for this baby, I wanted to cry.

Then, dh and I started to smell something bad. The baby had pooped and we kept waiting for one of them to get up and change him, but nope. I had to hold my jacket over my nose for the last 45 minutes of the movie as the smell got worse and worse. When they got up to leave at the end (midnight by now), they had no diaper bag, so I guess they had not thought to bring supplies and had no diaper/wipes with them. Ahhhhh....

It made me so sad to watch this poor little baby at the hands of these parents. If this is what I saw out in public, I can only imagine what goes on at home. I can't stop thinking about that poor little guy and thinking of how his home life must be. :(

~Kristen

Paolo 11-00
    Benjamin 8-03
    Marco 12-05

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Awful night at the movies last night - can't get it out of my mind

That sucks! Poor baby.
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

When I see things like that is bothers me too. I will lay in bed and dwell on it. I work in the public school system so I see bad situations often. Teen parents break my heart. They are still kids too and put their need first. I can't imagine taking a 12 month old to a movie that wasn't even child appropriate and at 9:50 expecting him to sit there and watch. I get depressed thinking about the home lives of these children. I don't understand why parents who don't want these kids keep them. I better stop typing before I get myself even more depressed.
    Angie

How sad. Things like that really eat me up. Poor thing was probably tired, sitting in poop, mom and dad are acting like he's a nuisance. There is absolutely no excuse.
    Lisa
    Emma 11/02
    Adam 2/07
    Their hands may be small but their feelings are just as big as ours.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

That is sad. Poor baby. I think some people don't make that switch in their minds that life is different after a baby and they can't have the same expectations for what they are able to do as adults and what the baby is realistically capable of (like going out to an R rated movie at night and expecting the baby to not make a peep or have any needs). Really sad.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard