Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Feel like I fell for the friendship bait and switch

I talked with a woman on several occasions when our DC were in a class together in the fall/winter last year. We ran into each other again at an event in the spring. I gave her my number and said we should get the kids together some time.

Fast forward to today: She called, said she ran across my number and reintroduced herself. She and I talked for a good while about this and that (nap schedules, school for DC, etc.). We talked about getting the kids together in general, nothing concrete.

Then she mentions her home business and next thing I know she's in full-blown sell mode and wants to set up an appointment to discuss how her business can improve the quality of life for my family. My mouth fell open, literally.

I was so shocked that I dodged an in-home consultation but she's supposed to call back next week. I have her phone number and e-mail and will cancel my "phone appointment."

WTH.

I really felt like a fool afterwards. And I'm so irritated.

-Ceepa

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Feel like I fell for the friendship bait and switch

That's happened to me a couple of times. I HATE that. So, don't think you are the only one.

I think it's sneaky and dishonest. Clearly, that woman doesn't believe in kharma or she'd be very afraid.

Lisa
    Mom to Gator July 2003
    And Cha-Cha July 2005
    and surprise! twins due 11/07!

nov04 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

nasty!!!!! karma will get her.
    Jos
    dd1 10/2004 prenatal stroke survivor w/ speech delay and dysarthria
    dd2 02/2007 asthma

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yep, been there, done that. I felt the same way as you. Sorry it happened to you!
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The fact that she was NOT eager to set a firm time/ place for your kids' play date, but WAS willing to set a firm time and date for her to sell you her home based business product is PROOF that she doesn't want to be your friend, she wants to be your sales rep! If I were you, I would send her an email saying that, after thinking about it, you are happy with the quality of your life and are not interested in her sales pitch or her product. I'm sure she will never bother you again!

As an aside, I can testify to knowing a home-based business person who does sell to her friends, but doesn't (at least so far) push it on you. There is a lady who goes to my church, another young mom, who sells Arbonne (sp?) and really believes in their products. She put a little "sample pak" in my baby shower gift and said she really liked their stuff and I should try their baby line (the sample pak) and if I liked it, I could get it from her. That was 6 months ago. I never asked to buy some and she has never mentioned it. I talk to her almost every Sunday in the Church nursery/ baby feeding room as we are feeding and diapering our kids. I think home-based business people can sell with being tacky, unlike the lady who called you!

That's happened to me too. I thought it was because I was so gullible (and desperate for a friend!). I'm sorry it happened to you, but hopefully knowing you're not alone makes you feel a bit better. I guess it's better to be trusting (as long as you don't get taken for too much) than to be too cynical. In my case I did not dodge the in-home consultation though. And now I'm technically an Arbonne distributor as well....I do like their products, but I don't really think I needed to buy them...or to sell them! Ah well, live and learn, right?

Debbie

http://[img]http://tickers.baby-gaga....png[/img]

Get a load of this... My brother hadn't called me but ONCE (to say he was getting married 2 days before my 1st anniversary) since I had been married (I had been married about 4 yrs!)

The second time he called. Was to sell me something. I kid you not. Some people have no class.

That woman is sooooo not worth thinking about again!

Default Happens on Moms groups too

I've had women join moms groups just to get the phone list/group directory and start soliciting stuff. They even have the nerve to walk into a church (MOPS group) and do this too!

They've gotten really sly about doing their advertising - the latest ploy has been waiting a couple meetings and then throwing frequent scrapbooking parties, candle parties, makeover parties etc., at first making you think that she is just hosting one (when really she is the consultant!). When you get to her house, she is pushing everyone to host parties of their own, of course!

And also you see that everyone and their dog is on the mailing list - in alphabetical order of the directory, no less - and some of the other moms have even asked me, "Who is this so-and-so - she sent me an invitation... Do you know her?"

I say if you're going to do that as a consultant, at least offer the moms in the group a freakin' discount to make it worthwhile!

I totally know how you feel. I was invited to a neighborhood ladies lunch which turned out to be Hi-C, stale oreos and a LOT of pressure to buy candles and gift wrap.

I went because I was new to the neighborhood and wanted to be polite. The funny thing is that had those women been honest about their intentions, I probably would have bought something.

It's just the deceptive nature to all that stuff that I hate.

At least you found out BEFORE you had a playdate because if your kids became pals, you'd have to deal with her all the time.

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Thanks, all.

Thank you for the feedback.

I guess I'm so accustomed to awesome moms like the ones here and my friends IRL that I was surprised and annoyed by the strongarm approach.

I'm sorry it's happened to others of you. But we didn't do anything wrong: Just because someone else acted poorly doesn't mean we were misguided to trust in their legitimacy from the start.

Love me some BBB Board!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast