Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default RE: UPDATE: Stupid Stupid Stupid

Great! Don't strap the baby down! Just DON'T TAKE HIM IN THE CAR, THEN. Because, y'know, if you think it's cruel to strap the baby down, I guarantee you're not going to like what happens when you slam on the brakes.

Yowza.

tarynsmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Oh My God. I didn't reply earlier because I figure it's one of those things that I can't fix and therefore can't worry about it ("accept the things you cannot change" et al).

But OH MY GOD. I really don't understand why she even bought a seat at all then, if she's not going to use the straps (oh, I know, because then she'll get a fine for not having her child in a seat... x( ). This really bothers me. A lot. I can't help it. I wish I could drive myself up to Canada and slap her. really.
    Heather, mommy to Taryn, January 16, 2006. And Baby Asher! Born February 25, 2009.

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician in Pittsburgh PA.

Interested in wearing your baby in the Pittsburgh Area? Check out Pittsburgh Babywearers at www.pittsburghbabywearers.com!

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Stupid Stupid Stupid

I have no answers, just commiseration. My aunt, who has like 9 other kids, half she lost custody of for various reasons, is pregnant again. She did not even know until she was 5 months along. Why not? Because she has has 1 tube damaged by an tubal pregnancy that was thought to by entirely nonfunctional and the other tube tied about 2 years ago. Yet here she is, pregnant again with a slew of uncared for, unhealthy kids (except for the ones she is not allowed to see that are with various paternal grandparents). She has never used a carseat at all. But she drives. Great. Just great. And I have negative pregnancy tests every month. Sigh. I just can't let myself think about it often or long or hard. :P

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Well, I wasn't going to reply, but honestly, I think I'd make an anonymous report to the police/RCMP (depending on where you live in the Lower Mainland). I don't think I could live with myself if I did nothing.

If I saw her driving, I'd probably call 911 (child in iminent danger). If I knew about the situation but she wasn't in a vehicle at the time, I'd probably call the non-emergency number for my local department/detachment. Say you are a concerned friend, just refuse to give your name -- all you should need is license plate. Do not call from home, they will trace your number. I'd probably use a pay phone, not sure if they can trace the cell phones here yet (its supposed to start soon, not sure when it goes into effect). Non-emergency police numbers will be on the inside front cover of your phone book.

If the police do nothing, well, the only thing left would be a call to the Ministry of Children and Families. The number will be in the blue pages in the back of your phone book.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

psophia17 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm trying to come up with a plan...but I'm always here, so there's no payphone to use, and there's more to the story that would have me worried about possible retribution...
    Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

Then give me all the information and I'll do it.
    Candy

Matthew 5/02
    Ethan 10/07
    Praying for Pink in 2013/2014

TonFirst is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

"The mother is adamant, she's not using the straps, it's cruel to strap babies down like that, bla bla bla."

JESUS WEPT. That has got to be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. Good luck, really.

psophia17 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I didn't do it, but both the police and Children's Services were notified, so hopefully something will happen. The whole situation is messed up, there's abuse all over the place (I was told about it this morning), too. The cops were called last night, and told the person reporting them that there was nothing they could do.

I only rarely see this person, and she doesn't drive, so I don't think I'll be able to call 911 about it, but I passed Melissa's info about doing so on to someone who sees her more often, who is as horrified by the carseat thing as I am.

Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2