niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Agh, I still hate my bedroom - petty rant

DH and I have never had nice bedroom furniture, and our room is the dumping ground for everything in the house. The last few months we've bought new pieces to replace the furniture that DH had when he was 7. The main purchase, the dresser, arrived today. We bought everything separately and DH didn't want to wait for the dresser to arrive before buying other things. I told him I thought it was all too much. He assured me it would all fit. Well, it does fit, but it feels cramped. And it doesn't help that we HAVE to have the computer and the filing cabinet in the bedroom. He says it's fine and one day we plan to add on another room for a study. I say it's not fine and that one day will be 5 years away. So now we've spent all this money and got all these nice pieces of furniture, and I still hate my bedroom.
    Yes, it's a petty rant. There are much more important things to worry about.

Nicci

tiapam is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Agh, I still hate my bedroom - petty rant

It's not petty, you deserve to have a nice space. I can't believe you were using your DH's childhood furniture. Hopefully it was not bunkbeds. Can you put the file cabinet (or something else) inside the closet??

-Pam

DD - 3 YO

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Agh, I still hate my bedroom - petty rant

A nice restful bedroom is SO important. I don't think it is petty at all.

Some thoughts:

-Get rid of some of the extra furniture. Better to return 1 or 2 things or sell it than to let it overwhelm you.

-Is there ANY place, and I do mean ANY place you can put that computer and filing cabinet? Can the filing cabinet go in a garage or closet? Could the computer go in a closet or on a cart in a hallway, the corner of the living room or perhaps the dining room? I have had to set up any number of creative "office" spaces and closets or screens hiding corners have been my friend. Ultimately, we ended up with laptops to save the space more than anything else. Just something to consider if it ever comes time to replace your computer. If you put the computer on a cart, perhaps it could be in the bedroom when it was needed and then elsewhere when you don't?