Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Realistic movies

I don't know if this is a bitch or not. I have never seen a movie or tv show that depicted parenthood, the part that I am familiar with, 0 to 4, with any sort of accuracy even for a minute. Have you? Supernanny doesn't count.

Laurel is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Realistic movies

nak. the tv show "friday night lights" nailed (imo) life with a newborn in the last few episodes.
    Laurel

sorry, double post
    Laurel

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I thought "Mr. Mom," with Michael Keaton from the early eighties was pretty accurate. Well, except for the washing machine and vacuum cleaner taking on lives of their own. But when the kids wrap the bathroom in toilet paper, the kids take over the house and the dad almost loses his mind- I can easily see those things happening.

Lisa
    Mom to Gator July 2003
    And Cha-Cha July 2005
    and surprise! twins due 11/07!

Bens Momma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DH and I think our lives are pretty similar to the movie "Parenthood" with Steve Martin, crazy family members and all!!! Although if my Dh dressed up and pulled the stunts Steve Martin did at his son's birthday party, he'd probably be hauled away to the looney bin! It's such a great movie for parents. I think it's from the late 80s/early 90s, but you're right about current shows and movies not being realistic....Maybe that's why the divorce rate is so high and many people can't deal with the reality of parenthood, they think it's going to be like what they see on TV :P !

Momma to 2 DS

Nope. And no one in movies or on TV shows ever breastfeeds.

I find it especially ludicrous on Lost, where there is obviously no formula available on a deserted island. She is always jiggling that poor baby when he is crying rather than just nursing him!

>Nope. And no one in movies or on TV shows ever breastfeeds.

I've gotta correct myself. I saw nice maternal bonding BFing briefly in "Training Day" with Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke. So funny b/c it was otherwise an ultraviolent movie.

I only saw a few minutes of the newborn on Friday night lights, but it was the scene where he's telling her he's flying out to go back to work and she is sitting on the couch with that look that every mom knows -- that look when you are completely overwhelmed and post-partum-y and your husband is either oblivious or ignorant. That woman deserves and Emmy for that scene.

I hated the way they dealt with Rachel's baby on Friends. It was like, "oh, yeah, I had a baby, but I can still spend all my free time hanging out at the coffee shop with my friends." Talk about giving young girls a false impression of what it is like to be a single mom.

psophia17 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Totally unrealisitic, but when the baby on Friends was born, Rachel did BF - it was hilarious. Anyone remember that scene?
    Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

nak. exactly! and i loved that the house was a wreck as well!

as for the "friends" baby, ita! rachel was the most negligent mom ever!
    Laurel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast