Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    boogiemom2 Guest

Default RE: I think I am a halloween Scrooge

Yeah, we don't do the doorbell ringing thing. We hang our bags on the front of the mailboxes. We don't even have to get out of the car. :) I don't like the doorbell ringing, either. Also, we always just look to see who is left as we are coming and going during the day. The kids get a huge kick out of seeing where the "phantom" has been. My youngest isn't too into it yet but my oldest is 6 years old and he thinks it's "super cool". ;)

Ya know, it's funny to read all of the negative responses considering I got the idea from BBB a couple of years ago when everyone was raving about it. :)

Your the above PP cracked me up!!

I had never heard of booing. Sounds like a PITA.

I understand why you feel the way you do, but for me, Secret Santa and the Brownie Fairy are things you sign up for, so you know what you are getting into. If someone randomly "booed" me I'd feel like I needed to keep the tradition going and most of the time, it's all I can do to take care of our own family things like getting the kids costumes and treats for Halloween. Only half of our decorations are up and that's all that probably will be this year. Out of consideration, maybe you could ask the people in your neighborhood if they wanted to participate. I'm sure plenty of people love this tradition and find it fun and you could avoid anyone having any secret resentment at having to take care of one more thing. It's clear your intentions are wonderful. Just my 2 cents.
    Alaina
    Alex Feb '03
    Zachary July '07

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Wow, I've never heard of this. I'm surprised my DH hasn't started it here. I have a boo sign at my front door, but didn't know it was anything special, I thought it was just a Halloween knick-knack.

I'm a bit of a Halloween scrooge myself. Mainly because we get over 300 kids every year, most of who don't live here and are freakin' BUSED to our subdivision. On top of it, our stoopid neighbors take their 3yo out ToTg, but don't give out ToT candy.

Bah.

I told DH I'm buying the cheapest candy this year. I'm savin' the good stuff for myself (and, if they are nice, I'll share with DH and DD#1).

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: What are the "simple thing" that we should enjoy- really?

I didn't mean to be a party pooper. I'm just very big and very hormonal. kwim?

Lisa
    Mom to Gator July 2003
    And Cha-Cha July 2005
    and surprise! twins due 11/07!

We live in a very rural place, so no plethora of already made BOO signs here. We use poster board and cut out a ghost, we have a neighborhood BOO poem (not from some cheesy website, but one a neighbor came up with a few years ago - she always starts the BOO-ing by doing two new neighbors each year, we live in a mostly military area, so we always have new neighbors). Our slant on the BOO tradition is that we don't ring bells and run, we BOO when the person isn't home - we tape the ghost to their door and leave a little bag of treats - this year my treats were a couple of kashi bars, mini-raisins and a few chocolate kisses. We got BOOed with raisins and stickers - it was left for us while we were at church.

My kids love it!

(We also don't get ANY trick or treaters in our neighborhood! NONE!! Yippee!!)
    Mom of 3 - Boy 2002, Girl 2004, Boy 2005
    Awesome RN, wife to a SAHD who also homeschools the kids.

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

ITA. Not to mention not everyone chooses to celebrate or participate in the concept of Halloween, although some areas would have more cases of that than others.

In all honesty, if I was boo'd I'd probably just pick up the basket from my doorstep and go plop it on someone else's!

Jennifer
    Mommy to
    Miss Pure Energy 3/03
    Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
    Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Im with you Chris!!

I got boo'd with a bag full of candy corn & starburst. Nathan was outside playing and I saw him from the window sitting down looking at something intently on the front step.

He was chowing down on the candy!!! He is on the feingold diet due to MAJOR food dye issues and it was 2 days before he came down off is dye high.... ( think almost 4 and on SPEED)

GRRRRRRRR
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: What are the "simple thing" that we should enjoy- really?

Well, if the "boo" thing is primarily aimed at children, someone should tell the adults who populate my office, and seem to think that this is the greatest thing. Not to be a Scrooge myself, but as much as I like my co-workers, what I would really like is to not have to spend time participating in this stuff so that I can get home and see my daughter. And, no, it's not mandatory, but it's pretty difficult once you've had treats delivered to your door not to reciprocate.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

I agree with you: it's a big PITA - just another thing that already overworked moms (note: moms, not dads or kids) have to worry about doing or they'll look bad. It's a fun idea and I'm sure it started out as a lovely gesture etc etc, but in reality I give it a thumbs down! And I say this as a person who loves to give gifts. But enough!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast