Default I have officially been snubbed!!!

Okay, please bear with me here, but I have to get this off my chest. Our family is huge! We have had 10 babies born in 2 years just within our extended family. What does that mean? Well, it means I have, at least, 10 parties (more like 20 with older kids) to attend every year and buy presents for. Don't get me wrong, I love birthday parties, but that is a lot.

Now, zoom to problem. DS gets an invitation to quite a few daycare parties. These are parties held, outside of daycare, for his classmates. There are 14 kids in his room, so you can imagine. Most moms bring cupcakes for the kids, to school, on the big day, so they have a celebration at school, but no gifts. Here's the problem. I don't go to the parties held outside of school. DS's best friend had a party and we didn't attend. She now will not speak at drop-off or pickup. WTF??? Are we in 9th grade again? I work full-time, am 11 weeks pregnant, and tired all of the time. Oh and we live 30 minutes from the area that most of the kids live in. I don't want to spend my Saturday driving an hour, both ways and spending 2 hours with no one I know. I do not invite any of the kids to our parties and wouldn't expect them to show up if I did. Please people, get a life. Maybe it is just hormones, but she is just pissing me off.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: I have officially been snubbed!!!

You have several totally legitimate reasons for not attending. With that many family parties to go to, plus working full-time, I don't blame you for not attending the daycare parties.

Jees, I bet her child doesn't even care and has totally forgotten about it. Yeah, she needs to get a life.

Don't let it bother you- forget about it. You don't need that negativity in your life. It's her problem, not yours.

Lisa
    Mom to Gator July 2003
    And Cha-Cha July 2005
    and surprise! twins due 11/07!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The only thing I could think of is that she would be upset if you hadn't RSVP'ed- but I assume you did. And I guess if it was my kid's best friend we would make an extra effort to go b/c the b-day child might have been really disappointed.

But, you have every right not to go and she should just calm the heck down.

Beth

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

>The only thing I could think of is that she would be upset if
    >you hadn't RSVP'ed- but I assume you did. And I guess if it
    >was my kid's best friend we would make an extra effort to go
    >b/c the b-day child might have been really disappointed.
    >
    >But, you have every right not to go

What she said.
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

That's my thought as well.

If we weren't able to make DD's BF's party, I would let her pick out a card and probably even a little gift to give her friend on the side after school one day. (But that's only if we're talking about a good friend, not just any random kid from the class!)

Jennifer
    Mommy to
    Miss Pure Energy 3/03
    Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
    Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That might be one way to make peace with her: get a small gift and card (perhaps if you are so inclined help your Ds make one) and then give it to her with an "I'm sorry we couldn't make the party. I hope she had a great time."

Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

Corie is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

"The only thing I could think of is that she would be upset if you hadn't RSVP'ed- but I assume you did. And I guess if it was my kid's best friend we would make an extra effort to go b/c the b-day child might have been really disappointed."

I agree with Beth!

I would hope that my daughter's best friend would make
    an extra effort to attend her party. She would be incredibly
    disappointed if she didn't come.

Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Thanks for all the comments. I do need to clarify something, this little boy is DS's best friend, but it is not in the sense you would think. He had a best friend, we'll call him Jack, that was in every single class with him. Jack left school at the beginning of summer and has not returned. Since then, DS has been "best friends" with whatever little boy is closest to his age in his class. We have had quite a few move up and others come-and-go. So, this is not even a kid that we talk about on the weekend.

DS moved up to the 3 year old class this morning, "OFFICIALLY"!!! I am so proud of him. Anyway, I have decided to just ignore the whole episode. Birthday boy will not be moving up for quite some time and I have heard there is a possibility that he will be leaving anyway. I am just going to chalk this up as an immature person.

One of the things I have figured out since becoming a mom is that some of those girls who were cliquish and petty in high school never change, not even after having children.

You can successfully avoid those people after high school but it seems like once you have kids, they turn up at the same places with their kids that you go to (the park, daycare, school). Just because someone is a mom doesn't mean that she going to my BFF.

Frankly, if I were you, I'd say "hi" to her every chance I got and go out my way to kill her with kindness. Taking the high road is never a bad idea and what is she going to do, complain that you are polite to her?

One of the things I have figured out since becoming a mom is that some of those girls who were cliquish and petty in high school never change, not even after having children.

You can successfully avoid those people after high school but it seems like once you have kids, they turn up at the same places with their kids that you go to (the park, daycare, school). Just because someone is a mom doesn't mean that she going to be my BFF.

Frankly, if I were you, I'd say "hi" to her every chance I got and go out my way to kill her with kindness. Taking the high road is never a bad idea and what is she going to do, complain that you are polite to her?