Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A Squirrel ATE the face off our jack-o-lantern!

I left the jack-o-lantern out on the covered front porch this afternoon. When I went to check for packages & mail 5 minutes ago, I found our pumpkin with a hole chewed out where the eyes, nose, and mouth were, and lots of gnawed pumpkin "bits" scattered on the table.

I HATE SQUIRRELS!

edited... so now I can't spell either... sorry about that!

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: A Squirrel ATE the face off our jack-o-lantern!

Ok, laughing as I type this cause it happened to our neighbor, only her pumpkin isn't carved yet and the squirrles have been gnawing for about a week and her pumpkin is all moldy.

So it could be worse...right? Sorry about the jack-o-lantern though. Never fun when one of those gets...um...vandalized.

tee hee hee...
    Molly

We had dinner at a friend's house in Hoboken on Saturday night (Hoboken is very much a city environment). As I was coming in their front door, I noticed that one of their pumpkins was pretty decimated. I figured it was from their stroller or something, and didn't give it much of a thought.

I had to move the car, and when I came back, I saw that the culprit was a little bird. The little bastard had totally gone to town on my friend's DS's pumpkin! And this pumpkin hadn't even been carved yet.

I've not even done the pumpkin thing this year. The deer have already helped themselves to my plants, trees, shrubs. I wasn't about to buy them sides of veggies too. ;)

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

yup, squirrels are a real PITA.
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

a squirrel started nibbling on our pumpkins last year but it was After Halloween. I was hoping he'd just gobble the whole thing up but instead he made a huge mess for me to clean up. :(

I have to admit though, that he was pretty cute to watch. He'd climb all the way into the jack-o-lantern and stick his little head out the eye holes.

Lisa
    Mom to Gator July 2003
    And Cha-Cha July 2005
    and surprise! twins due 11/07!

That would really make me mad too!! I spent 2 hours carving 6 pumpkins yesterday and now I'm afraid what I am going to see when I walk outside this morning!

Ann

I am SO with you. We went to the pumpkin patch and picked out our 5 perfect pumpkins. The next morning, each one had nibble holes, and the "baby" one was completely gone!! They ended up eating HUGE holes in most of the rest. I am so ticked. I hate squirrels! I don't even want to touch those, so I'm leaving them out--and we'll get some fresh ones tonight to carve. Ugh.

Oh, and this is after some squirrels *chewed a hole* through the seat of our Volo at the park.

I am an evil, evil woman. I know this because I put the pumpkin my husband and daughter lovingly made outside *hoping* the squirrels would eat it. (Note: my husband would be overjoyed if this happened, and as for DD, every time she sees it, she says "Look! There's the same old pumpkin!" so I think having it actually change would be cool to her. I am not so evil that I torture my 3.5 year old.)

So far, it's untouched. Too close to the house, maybe?

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Most of my neighbors purchase sacrificial pumpkins just for this reason. There were few nibbles out of mine before carving this evening, so I stashed the carved pumpkins in the garage so they don't get completely eaten before tomorrow evening. After that the critters can gobble them up. :-)
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

Sorry that happeend. We sprayed ours (carved Sun.) with hairspray. It's mostly worked, aside from a few nibbles on the top (the face has been spared). Of course, we will use a flashlight tonight to light it, as we don't want the whole thing to go up in flames.
    Lisa
    Mama to Jack (4/20/01)
    and Joshua (11/16/03)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast