Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    VAbride Guest

Default RE: Wedding gowns in greater DC area

i bought from "i do, i do"...i went alone and they were so nice to me! but...their selection is somewhat limited. i got lucky...actually, i found most of the stores around here, oddly, had limited selections (i.e., i rarely saw dresses that i'd seen in magazines).

i did call pearl's place to get a quote on a dress i'd tried on at ellie's bridal and found them to be very efficient and helpful. i wouldn't count them out!..the only reason i didn't "take the plunge" was b/c i wasn't all that sold on the dress.

i've heard good things about katherine's bridal shop on duke street, but never got to check it out.

ones i'd never go back to: david's bridal (ick), rizik's (snobbier than hannelores!), and hannelores (though they do seem to have quite a selection).

good luck!

VAbride Guest

just $250? you were getting off cheap...ha!! elies quoted me $450 (on a $950 dress) b/c it was hand-beaded...yeah, right,...in CHINA!! i doubt the "custom fitters" overseas see any of that money.

incidentally, pearl's place found that same dress for me for about $200 less.

katherineharlow Guest

How were they [I do,I do] on the pricing?

Has anyone tried to match a quote at a bridal store, or would this be considered poor form?

What about RK bridal, anyone have suggestions, comments? DBS?

More about Hannelores in Old Town, I found there selection limited, but then again it might have been because the rude salesperson that "helped" me did not feel the need to find or consult with me re. dresses. Like I said I was left in the dressing room w/ my MOH for 10 min., we just took it upon ourselves to continue to try on dresses. Ladies, BEWARE. If you want a happy fun experience, don't go there.

It's a wonder they stay in business.

Deana Guest

I snuck over here from the baby site ... just saw this topic.

I bought my dress from the Bridal Shoppe too and had no problems with that end of it (my wedding was in April 2000). However ...

Do not rely on them for the fittings and alterations. I was stood up for two appointments (I work downtown and had to take off to drive out to Manassas only to find that the seamstress wasn't there ... twice!). The second time I luckily had my mother with me and she convinced me to just take my dress and a refund for the alterations (I'd paid $140 up front). She (my mom) ended up doing the alterations and they were perfect. But, this was not a stress I needed less than 2 weeks before the wedding! I'd find a reliable seamstress elsewhere.

I'd also heard complaints about alterations while in the store and on a DC wedding forum prior to this, but had ignored them thinking that these must be bridezillas. I assure you that I was not and this was the only vendor that I had serious problems with.

HereinDC Guest

Hi

I would not try to match an internet quote to an actual bridal store. You may get yell at.

As for Pearl's Place. I ordered all 5 of my bridesmaids dresses (Wtoo) from them. But before I placed the order, I shopped around the net for the lowest prices. When I did, I asked Pearl's Place to match it, and they did.

They orginially told me that the dresses usually take about 9-12 weeks. But it only took 6 weeks. I got the great prices and they delivered it before I knew it.

It takes a while to get through, and they do seem to be a bit rushed on the phone, but I got what I wanted at the price that I wanted.

Also, I've heard good things about RK bridal, and they were very helpful over the phone.

My final choices were to either order from RK or Pearl's Place.

I hope this helps you out.

Ciao.
    Cindy

katherineharlow Guest

Thanks a heap! I think that i am going to go through RK Bridal, there website indicates that they will match a lower quote, so we shall see. Pretty disconcerting to find out how seedy the bridal industry can be, though (at least according to all the research I have done)

TX!
    KH

Mrs_ Porter Guest

Wow! No one has anything nice to say about Hannelores'!

I did NOT shop at Hannelores' because every bride that I know that shopped there had a completely negative experience. Everyone seems to have the same complaints that have been posted here on the message boards: unprofessional, snobby salespeople who failed to respect the bride's stated dress budget, and exhorbitant alterations fees.

A Hannelores' salesperson actually asked one friend if she was sure that she could afford to shop at Hannelores'. I wonder how Hannelores' stays in business by abusing brides! Everyone that I know of who went to Hannelores' refused to give them her businesss.

I purchased my dress and bridesmaids dresses at the Saks Jandel Vera Wang salon in the Watergate Hotel in D.C. I loved my dress and the bridal consultants were wonderful -- friendly, professional, and helpful. I couldn't have been happier. The salesperson that I worked with, Leilani, and the store manager, Jennifer, were there for me every step of the way.

I was especially impressed with the salon's seamstress. My dress came with white silk organza with white satin silk trim. I realy wanted the dress to be trimmed with platinum silk trim though. We couldn't "special order" a change in the trim from Vera Wang, so the salon ordered platinum silk satin and changed the trim for me. It looked amazing! Also, the seamstress custom designed a purse for me that matched my dress, complete with platinum trim.

Also, although I had already received my dress, Leilani called me about their sample sale so that I could let any friends know about the sale. A newly engaged friend went to the sale, bright and early and found her dream dress at a great price. My friend was thrilled and she looked absolutely beautiful on her wedding day.

Mrs. Porter

marcywench Guest

I know that this thread hasn't been touched in some time, but I had to let everyone know that Dawn is still very much in business and just WONDERFUL to work with. I already had my veil, or I would have had her make mine. She did my gown alterations in a snap, and for a very reasonable price. She doesn't advertise...she is strictly word of mouth. I live in Sterling, VA, but it was definitely worth the trip!

Marcy

bllewis Guest

I had a very different experience at Hannelore's. Reading other message boards, I have "met" many other brides who have bought their dress at Hannelore's and received wonderful treatment.

I live in another state and actually traveled to Alexandria a week ago for a trunk show. Prior to the trip, the consultant that worked with me called me on several occasions to introduce herself and answer any questions I had. They also have been very quick and responsive to questions I have sent via e-mail.

When I arrived at the store, everyone was pleasant and helpful. When I told my consultant that a veil she brought over for me to try on was just too expensive (I felt) for the veil, she quickly brought over another much more reasonably-priced veil for me to try on. I bought my dress from them.

I am sure there are people who have had negative experiences there, as that is just the way it is--every store is going to have someone who doesn't like it for whatever reason. I just want to let other brides know that there *are* plenty of ladies that have had great experiences there (logically, they wouldn't still be in business if this weren't so).

blnc63

jptobin Guest

On the expensive side: Naomis Creations (Falls Church, VA, Rte 50 near Seven Corners). Cost me $215 to alter my wedding dress (some taking in, and much work on the hem to shorten-although a complicated hem, I will give her that!). I am not even convinced that she took in the amount she measured that she should've taken in, I see chalk marks "too far out" on the bodice that indicate it wasn't brought in as much as we had pinned it for. When worn on my wedding day, it also was too loose up top (not necessarily due to stress weight loss before wedding)

WONDERFUL to work with: Desparis Designers- (Sophie) in Falls Church. She runs dress alterations (and sewing fancy dresses from scratch) out of her house and helped with what I would consider a pretty serious matter when confronted with a mismatched/sized bridesmaid dress (Jim Hjelm, too SMALL! and NOT because I got fat as compared to time when I got measured)She is a dream, does a great job and VERY reasonable price!! (was about $100, but she had a good amt of work to do and it was worth every penny in my relief!)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast