ms905 Guest

Default pricing differences for gowns in Chicago

Hey everyone!
    Has this happened to you? I was dress shopping today and visited the House of Brides-the downtown Chicago location-and found a dress I really liked! It was a Watters & Watters gown...I checked the $$ and the "suggested retail" was $1596 and "our retail" was $1100 (I can't remember the exact price). I asked the lady and she said "that was the going rate for this area!" So, later that day, I had an appointment at the Marshall Field's downtown and tried on the exact dress and the lady quoted me $1000!!! Ok, at that point, I was confused and shocked!! Is this typical? What is going on here? Should I be suspicious of HOB-I've read previous messages and heard bad things!! I'd love to hear what you think...thanks :)

amy2876 Guest

Default RE: pricing differences for gowns in Chicago

Hi there! As a fellow Chicagoan, your posting caught my eye. I have only heard bad things about house of brides too (i.e. late bridesmaid dresses with no refund, botched alterations, poor service, etc.) and they were not messages on this website, but from many people I know personally.

As far as prices downtown go, if it is anything like the reception cites I have been pricing for the last couple of weeks - go west young lady! (or north, or south, or in any direction other than the lake) A reception downtown will run you $90 to $60 more than one by O'Hare!! Go to the burbs!!

Best Wishes!!