aleximoon Guest

Default Ft. Myers David's Bridal

Just went to David's Bridal in Ft. Myers, Florida and it was a relatively good experience. But thank goodness that I read Bridal Bargains first! Everything that the book said they would do they did!

It started right away when I registered, they started adding all sorts of things that I would have to get; shoes, veils, headpieces. The expression on the woman's face when I told her that, "Thank you, but I actually brought my own underwear." was priceless. And she wasn't pleased at all when I told her that I was planning on wearing my Converse tennies to the wedding so I wouldn't be needing their shoes either.

A friend of mine and I had taken a likening to several of the Alfred Angelo designs and mentioned that to the consultant who very snippily told me that Alfredo Angelo steals their designs and that David's Bridal is suing them. It sounded like absolute nonesense to me.

Then when I was trying on gowns the consultant brought over a dress that didn't conform to any of the guidelines that I had laid out before we started. But she claimed that even though it had a huge train, was two pieces, and heavily embroidered, I had the perfect skin tone to carry it off when most people couldn't. I coudln't help but notice that it was a $1000 more than any of the other dresses that I had chosen.

And finally, when the day was through and I was leaving to think things over she even gave me the line about how the dress I liked may not be available for much longer (even though in the beginning she told me that it was one of their newest designs) and that I really should order it now or that I would probably end up regretting it later.

But since I was prepared for all this thanks to the book I just found it all super amusing as opposed to really pushy and upsetting. Yay Bridal Bargains!

Oh, and the $200 tiara that they made me wear (honestly, they wouldn't give me a fitting room till I picked one out) I found for 20 bucks on ebay later that night.

QuinnB Guest

Default RE: Ft. Myers David's Bridal

I had to make a comment. I briefed my daughter after reading your book about bridal shops and their tactics. She went today to Marys Bridal in Annapolis, Maryland. Her first mistake was making an appointment to look. NO LOOKING, without someone. She went in with a list of dresses she wanted to see which of course on the phone they had. They never showed her one of those dresses instead showing her the Perfect dress for her an original which she should have ordered months ago she was just sooo late. Her wedding is Oct 6,2007. The dress had to be ordered today and paid in full today. She took the dress off and politely informed the women "Mary" she was buying nothing without her mother. The women got up from the desk turned her back and walked away. My daughter called me and could not believe how she was treated but also how she was almost sucked into the whole the whole charade. She went into a local Davids near her a few weeks ago and they couldn't have been nicer as far as letting her look ,tryon and even take pictures. I'll be going with her next month to look.. thanks for all the great advice and info. Mom in Florida

DestinationRenewal Guest

I went to DB in California and experience much of the same, except for the $200 tiara. I asked for destination-type dresses, as we're having a renewal ceremony in the Caribbean. Instead, they brought out ballgowns with chapel and sweep trains (I told them NO train!)....

It was almost what I had to say was ignored....

Oh well....I (ironically) ordered an Alfred Angelo dress from netbride.com....so much for DB.

tholtnc Guest

Well nice to see the David's Bridal here in Raleigh, NC isn't unique in their rudeness. I couldn't even get past the door just to look until I registered with them. Then they had to assign me a bridal consultant to follow me around. After repeatedly telling her that I just wanted to look and I was not trying on anything today she walked away and said "well, you'll have to come back for an appointment should you change your mind because I am very busy". To say the least, my bridal gown did not come from David's..I purchased it from a wonderful company in Smithfield called Carolina Bridal World. The women there were just wonderful and they didn't bager you to purchased something that day. I could just look and if I had a question all I had to do is ask.

haweswedding Guest

Sorry to hear so many people have had bad experiences w/ David's Bridal. I hadn't heard any of the stories before I went in this weekend, but nonetheless, I was rather pleased with the service. It was somewhat annoying that I had to register before trying on any dresses, but they did let me look. However, I thought the registration was somewhat normal for marketing purposes & they do keep a list of everything I liek in their system. I was prepared for the sales pitch, but I think that's pretty typical for most retail stores, especially when the girls are on commission. I just smile, tell them what I want (or don't want) & figure, if it's not there when I'm ready to order, oh well...it wasn't meant to be. Though one good thing, the 1st rep that helped me didn't push @ all & didn't even try to sell me a more expensive dress than the $400 dress I picked. Anyhoo...I appreciate the tips about netbride.com & ebay!

MrsC2be Guest

I am really suprised that you had such a bad experience there. I went to the Ft. Myers DB back in Sept. and my consultant was Julia, she was wonderful. Not at all pushy, let me choose which dresses I wanted off the rack, did not make a big deal out of the fact I was there only to try on dresses and none of the other junk.
    Also, that is absurd about Alfred Angelo, the only company I can think of that "rips off" DB designs is Da Vinci.

aleximoon Guest

I actually didn't have a bad experience. I had a good experience DESPITE the people at David's Bridal. Since I was prepared for how they sometimes treat people it didn't faze me. I found it all amusing rather ultra pushy. I was there with my mother, my cousin, and one of my best friends. They loved all the dresses that I tried on. I loved all the dresses that I tried.

It ended up being a lot of fun. But as I said, it was enjoyable despite my consultants actions.