Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default Ebay China Gowns

I have noticed all those sites in ebay from Chinese companies who make knock off dresses to one's own measurements. They will also make a dress that you design.

Some charge as little as $.99 for a dress but hit you with over $100 for the shipping and handling. Others charge about $40 for the dress and another $40 for the shipping and handeling. Most of the reviews are good on them, but some are better then others.

I have seen at least one picture posted on the Wedding Channel boards of a bride wearing one of those dresses and it looked nice. There are a coupld of others who have ordered them and are waiting for them to come in and will post pictures.

I was wondering if anyone here has purchased or even seen any of these dresses? Where was it odrered from (company name)? How was the service? Were you happy with the dress, the quality, and the fabric? Was it just as pictured? Was the quality compreable to something you would find at David's Bridal?

I did learn a couple of things about them already. They tend to close down for the Chinese New Year holiday for several days so comunication on those days is slow. (another bride ran into this) One company just got kicked off ebay for actually selling the real designer gowns with certificates dirt cheap. She found out about it (apparently it was her contracted factory) and she had them kicked off. They are still filling the orders already placed.

I do not have a ring yet so I will not really be shopping for a dress until I get one and that is a little bit away. Until then, I am educating myself on everything wedding. I am very short and apple shaped so nothing ever fits me right and it would nice to have one made to my size or at least close to it. So I would love to learn from everyone else who has tried this, especially if the company was good to work with and was able to communicate well. I feel that for about $100 it is worth the risk.

So please send some feedback and if you can post or send a picture even better!

Thanks!

erikas Guest

Default RE: Ebay China Gowns

Hello,

I also recntly ran across these places on ebay. One of the more popular ones is China-Ekt. He also has his own website apart from ebay, which is www.1koo.com. He is a power seller on ebay, and has many, many, many reviews. I did not read though the thousands that are there, but I read through at least several hundred of them. All except one or two about the wedding(and bridesmaids) dresses were VERY positive. Most said it came back beautiful, and fit wonderfully. Some needed a little additional tailoring, but considering the price, and the fact that you have to have most dresses altered anyways, I don't think that's a big deal. Some said it wasn't exactly like the picture, but still beautiful. The bad ones said just that it wasn't at all like the picture. He does have a return policy, which (after reading the reviews) seems to work well.

The only thing is that all of them come with zippers, and most wedding gowns have a button-up back, so that is also one reason the price is a little lower - just not as much detail. I am going to email and ask him if they're able to put buttons on the back instead for an extra charge, or even if they can leave it open, and I can then have a seamstress put the buttons on the back after I get it. The price would still be way under a regular gown.

I was pretty chicken about ordering a wedding dress online, but after reading all the reviews and looking over everything thoroughly, I have decided to try it. I will first go and try gowns on to see what style works. But, they're almost all made in China anyways, right? And, he has a good selection to choose from.

I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has already tried this! I will not be ordering for another two months or so, but I will let you know how they turn out!

Erika

Thank you so much for replying. I did not notice until today!

Yes, I do know of the company you are talking about. I have been following their reviews for a while and I emailed them 20 questions the other day and they got right back to me with answers.

I too noticed the zipper issue with them and that was one of my questions to them. They told me that they are not using a better quality zipper then before.

I have two threads going on the wedding channel about them. One I started under dream gowns -ebay china thread. Another bride has one under creative ways to save about an issue she is having with the company she used, a different one then you mentioned that has been kicked off of ebay. Another girl got a dress from them that she loves without problem. This one ran into the Chinese New Year celibration back up. Apparently the last week of January and first week or so of Feburary causes back ups with ordering, production, comminication, and even getting products through Chinese customs. Best not to order around that time.

Yes, many of these companies are just stealing picture form the net or magazines of dresses and copying them. Some don't know for sure that the other side of the dress looks like so they just improvise. You are right the pic may not be exact. They seem to be very honest about it not being exact.

Some companies will make a dress from your own design. I have been communication with one person who did this. Her dress came in and was well made but it was too short and they did misinterpreted the tulle in the design and made it more of a ruffel. She was unhappy and contacted them again. They are working with her on it. They are not making her send it back and are only charging another $25 for shipping and are making her another dress the way she wants it. She has posted picture of her inspiration dress, her own sketch, and what came in the mail. I am also waiting for pics from a couple of others.
    I noticed under the thread "post a pic of you in your dress" at the same site at least one or two dresses from ebay China.

The company you mentioned will make the button up back and the lace up back, in fact it was one of my questions to them. Several people on other sites have strongly recomended to me that a lace up back is a better choice for online dresses beacuse it permits slight room for adjustment without needing alterations. It does seem to make sense.

The mose specifie the directions with them seem to be the best thing possible. Don't assume they will just know, understand, or interpret a picture or general description the same way. Specifically ask them to email you any questions they have if they are unsure of something and to ask the people involeved in making it to ask and wait for an answer as well before they continue the work.

They also told me that there is no other holidays that interfer in the business other then Chinese New Year. I know what that holiday is like even here as I live in an Asian neighborhood here in the US.

I too have sat dwon and read 20 pages of reviews that company at a time as well as others. A different company that I was very interested in had made bad reviews and put horrible customer reviews back. I would not touch them with a ten foot poll now. Anyone company that has a bad ot neutral review that has follow up reports stating that they are working to resolve it it still worth dealing with, perhaps even more if there are not too many issues. Anyone can make a mistake, but how you handle it from there is what really counts!

I also think that before buying it would be a good idea to email or PM some of their past ebay customers to get a reference and maybe even pictures of what was ordered and what was actually recieved. Most brides love to show off their dress anyway and I know I would be willing to give it to others after I buy a dress.

Anyway my networking on this issue seems to be starting to take off now and I am very glad you are part of it. I found a nightmare theread from a bride on the WC who bought a bunch of expensive dresses at a shop in LA was charged $24 each for special delivary and the ones did come were cheaply packaged and only had $4 postage on it. Others seem to be missing in action and there have been numerour other issues she had had in the ten months since she ordered. So even thought there is always a risk buying over the internet, espceially from another counrty, but it is still not the same $$$ risk people take when shopping here at home. For me I know I will probably give it a shot, and maybe even buy a back up dress too from a second company at those cheap prices.

melanie1973 Guest

Hi all, I was looking at www.1koo.com. And some of those dresses are just beautiful!! I already found 3 I really like. I was just wondering
    if anyone has bought one of these "china dresses" I also sent an email to find out the price of a dress I want made..I can't wait to see what the price would be...I'm just a little weary of the cheap prices and wonder if the work is cheap or the matreial is cheap as well. I guess for those prices it's a risk but I think it's woth it.
    Any help would be great! Are there other companies like this??
    Thanks,
    Melanie

There are many companies like this! That company you mentioned had some issues with the zippers. Most brides said that at the price to have it fixed here was not a big deal and the company also said that they have upgraded the zipper product they use. They will also do button or lace up backs if you want.

We have two threads going on these companies on the wedding channel message boards. One I started under dream gowns called Ebay China. The other someone else stared under Creative Ways to Save. We have been getting people to name the companies and post pics of the dresses when they come in and it is working out pretty well.

People seem to like the material and the quality so far. The issues that have come up have been delays due to the Chinese New Year, but the dress still came within two months of ordering. One dress have the ule done a little different then whet the bride designed (she designed the dress herself) She likes the qulity and fit. They are remaking her an another one for only $25 shipping because she was unhappy with the misinterpertaion of her design.

The companies will often tell you that the dress may be slightly different from the picture. I would ask for more information about how they are different. Communication seems to be key with these companies.

You may also be able to contact some of their past buyers on ebay, I am not sure because I don't have an actual ebay account yet.

Please let us know anything you learn about them back here too!

Thanks,
    Janine

Sorry for repeating myself so much. I didn't have a chance at the time to go back and read what I wrote before.

At least one or two brides on the Wedding Channel boards have orders now in from there and are waiting for their dresses. I will let you know how it works out for them or you can cheak the board there yourself. I posted it under dream gowns and the thread is also called Ebay China. I would love for this thread here to take off like that one has too.

Did you end up ordering from them yet?

erikas Guest

No, I haven't ordered yet. I am trying on dresses next week, and I'm going to see what's out there first. Then, I will make my final decision. I have also looked at the other boards on weddingchannel.com, and they have been very useful. Thanks for the tips! I will let you know what I decide, and how it all turns out!

I go by Jan on the WC.

Oopsie Guest

I was pretty skeptical about spending any money on ebay for a wedding gown, but being that I was on a budget I didnt have much choice. I probably could of gotten a dress for abvout $99 at David's Bridal, but not one that I just loved and actually fit. I'm puerto rican and as curvy as they come. Nothing I tried on fit right,anywhere.

A few of the stores on ebay had great prices like at $.99, but you're right they are like $100 bucks to ship. Then I ran into Bridal-Essentials, which I believe are also owners of yourbridalessentials.com and they offer to make me a dress to my measurements and I could pick any dress. After a few days of searching like a crazy woman for "the" dress I sent it to them and they quoted me $325, but with free shipping. It was totally worth spending since the actual certified gown would of cost me over $1,800.

Once I got it and saw the quality I ended up ordering all 8 of my bridesmaids dresses with them as well as my mother in law's dress. Oh! and the flower girl's dress too. I spent a bit more than I was hoping for but it was definitely worth it!

One thing though. They say normally takes about 20 days to make, but with holidays and weekends you can expect a good 30-35 days to get your dresses. They take their holidays seriously apparently.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast