Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jacquirapp Guest

Default Pregnancy tests and OPK's

I know that many people who buy the Baby Bargains book are in the midst of trying to get pregnant, as well as already being pregnant...

Is there anyway to add an apendix or something about home pregnancy tests or ovulation predictor kits?

I know that there are websites out there that help to determine this stuff, like www.fertilityplus.org/faq/hpt.html

It may be of help to some people...

Default RE: Pregnancy tests and OPK's

Hi there. Thanks for the suggestion for our book, BABY BARGAINS. You are right---most (if not all) of our readers are already pregnant by the time they get pregnant. But perhaps that might be a topic we can address on our web page. And has Consumer Reports ever tested those kits?

Alan & Denise Fields, Authors
    BABY BARGAINS

E&E Guest

Some sites like Babycenter.com have info on things like this.

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am planning to get pregnant in the fall, but with my schedule, the more things I can learn about/plan now, the better. A section on pregnancy, whether on the website or a short chapter in the book, would be fabulous. Prenatal vitamins, pregnancy tests, etc.

I loved your weddings book and recommend it to everyone, and Baby Bargains was the first baby/pregnancy book I bought. The most valuable aspect for me was the analysis of quality of different services/products, and while I don't always save much money, I know that with your advice, I am always getting the best deal. My wedding was as perfect as I could ever have imagined and I had time to enjoy it because everything was prepared. I look forward to the same thing when setting up a nursery for (hopefully) next year's bundle of joy! Thank you!

shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    shannon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Another Queen of the House of Boys:
    DS#1 2003
    DS#2 my mother's day gift 2012
    DH
    Mikey, the cat and rhinestone-collared, pink-leashed Schatze, our Rottweiler girl

GreenIZ1971 Guest

I started reading your book about a year and a half before we got pg (I started 6m early researching the costs, etc of a baby then we tried for a year).

So, from my view, yes, definitely you should include it.

Also, I urge you to include info on chidbirth prep methods and where to reach people for various classes (lamaze, bradley, hypnobirthing, breastfeeding, etc.). Those classes can be costly, as can the result of not taking one....

You cover daycare (which is a nebulous topic, at best) so I don't see how opks/pg tests/ and classes could be off topic.

Thanks,

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Hi, Shannon! I just wanted to share my most invaluable resource when I was trying to get pregnant: the book *Taking Charge of Your Fertility* by Toni Weschler. It teaches you how to chart your fertility signs and how to integrate the use of OPKs (which are not always as straightforward as they sound), and I found it to be extremely empowering to have that much knowledge about what my body was doing. I knew exactly when I was most fertile and I got pregnant the second month I charted. I also knew I was pregnant very quickly, and then kept charting through the first trimester so knew I was STAYING pregnant. It was enormously helpful and encouraging, much less nerve-wracking than when I was using OPKs alone. Good luck!!!
    -Rachel
    Rachel

Mama to Abby (5) and Ethan (2)

When you know better, you do better.
    -Maya Angelou

stampmom Guest

I just wanted to second the recommendation for the "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" book! Not only is it a terrific way to either acheive or avoid pregnancy, it's also just really "empowering" to have a better understanding of how your body works, and why it does what it does! Also, for me, since we had a precise plan as to when we were going to start "trying," it was great to start charting my cycles several months early -- psychologically, it felt like I was *doing something* toward ultimately getting pg, even though DH and I had decided to wait a bit longer. (helped me deal with my "but I want a baby NOW" feelings!) (BTW, I know my results aren't necessarily "typical," but I got pg the first month we started trying, after having charted my cycles for about 6 months.)

I also highly recommend the charting software that is "affiliated" with the book. You can find out more about the book and the software, and download the software, at http://www.tcoyf.com.

Finally, I also wanted to recommend http://www.lowcostpregnancytests.com. They have several different types of tests, and the best prices I've seen anywhere! Plus, they have really wonderful customer service.

Dawn
    Mommy to Adam 6/98
    Jeremy(?) expected 7/02

GreenIZ1971 Guest

I second this book: "Taking Charge of Your Fertility". AWESOME!

As were Henci Goer's books.

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

ohmigod, i found out about it purely by accident, spent part of my vacation reading the book, and am now attempting to chart so that when my time comes, i'll hopefully have the thing down pat. right now it looks like a jigsaw puzzle, because my schedule is so crazy i miss my temperatures about a third of the time (i'm a surgery resident) plus i'm a little concerned that i may have a shortened luteal phase, based on a single low progesterone when it should have been higher (i'm also an overreactor)

would love to know which OPK you recommend - i know the electronic monitors are the best but don't know if I want to shell out the $$ unless I discover a problem. that said, i have a two month window which would be the ideal time to get pregnant (gotta love life in medicine)

thanks!!!

shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    shannon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Another Queen of the House of Boys:
    DS#1 2003
    DS#2 my mother's day gift 2012
    DH
    Mikey, the cat and rhinestone-collared, pink-leashed Schatze, our Rottweiler girl

trumansmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Clear Plan Easy worked for me. I tried the First Response kind as well, but they were a bit ambiguous. CPE left no room for doubt. I got pregnant the 2 month we tried.

Good luck!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast