ScrapNancy Guest

Default Preemie Supplies

How about including information on where parents of preemies can get the extra-small size items they need? Since being the parent of a preemie is usually an unexpected development, having this info in your book could really make life easier when new parents get thrown a curveball! I am undergoing fertility treatments and have been told that I will be a high-risk pregnancy and we have a good likelyhood of having a healthy but preemie baby, so I would love to have this info.

Here is what I have learned:
    Target carries a special line of Gerber wear for preemies.
    Some of Walmart's line of clothes are available in preemie size.
    Preemie size diapers can be ordered at Huggies.com.

Thanks for your consideration!

Nancy

twins r fun Guest

Default RE: Preemie Supplies

Here's some more preemie info:

*You can find preemie diapers and a descent selection of preemie clothes, onesies, hats, bibs at Babies R US (their clothes are a little expensive though.)

*Many babies are almost out of preemie clothes when they are released from the hospital. Usually the clothes go up to 5-7 pounds and all the babies I saw going home from the hospital where my boys were born were over 5 pounds (including mine). Our hospital allowed parents to put their own clothes on the babies while they were in the hospital, though.

*Avoid clothes with zippers and feet (feet alone are okay). In the hospital the wires from the monitors need to come out the bottom of the outfits and with zippers, they can't. Also some babies end up having monitors at home and the same problem would occur.

suzska Guest

I think Penneys also carries some Preemie clothes. I didn't need them, but I seem to remember seeing them in the catalog.

Baby Gap sells clothes in preemie size. The smallest layette items are labeled "preemie, up to 7 lbs.".

For those in Los Angeles, Pump Station (in Santa Monica) sells preemie clothes, preemie diapers, and provides breast feeding assistance for preemies (and, of course, full-term babies). The staff there is amazing. You can read about them and buy from their on-line store at pumpstation.com.

Lisa
    & Jack, 13 months
    Lisa
    Mama to Jack (4/20/01)
    and Joshua (11/16/03)

Nancy,

Thanks for reading our book and using our message boards.

We did mention a web site in the clothing chapter, www.preemie.com, that offers a wide variety of clothes and accessories. At the time the book came out there wasn't much. We'll try to include more in our next edition.

best wishes,

alan and denise fields
    authors, BABY BARGAINS

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

If you are fortunate enough to be near a Carter's outlet, they had TONS of preemie clothes - sleepers and such - on clearance racks.

Good luck - hope that you end up not needing these things!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

23Tam Guest

I am glad I found this thred, being one of those new parents who got thrown a curve ball and a preemie :) Now all I need to find a preemie cloth diapers....my baby is 4 lbs 13 oz but 18.75 inches long. She is too tall for preemie clothes, but way too skinny for newborn sizes. As for diapers, newborn diapers go around her twice, but she leaks too bad in preemie diapers because they just don't hold as much!

Tam

twins r fun Guest

Good point about the preemie diapers. You might as well wrap some toilet paper around your baby as a preemie diaper-they hold nothing! Can't help you with the cloth diapers-we just used the newborn size disposables. Good luck with your preemie. I don't know how early she was, but from my expereince it will be no time at all before you'd never guess she had been a preemie!

Nicole