Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

Default RE: Super long threads that are pinned- an idea

Mary,

in response to to your statement...

If you're not reading the thread, I don't see why it makes a difference if it's a short thread that's pinned or a long thread that's pinned.

....I can only assume you "don't see why it makes a difference if it's a short thread that's pinned or a long thread that's pinned" because we must have our set ups set up differently.

I can assure you that I "see why it makes a difference if it's a short thread that's pinned or a long thread that's pinned" or I never in a million years would have typed the suggestion :)....
    again I suspect the difference here is the way you chose to set up your particaption in the message board vs the way I chose to set up mine....both of which are offered set ups so we can customize how we like to participate.

Neve
    http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
    AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
    and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
    Feb 25, 2003
    Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Super long threads that are pinned- another idea

Since the problem seems to be with the avatar thread (and the birthday thread is getting long too), why not just delete all replies to the avatar thread (and the birthday thread once all the recent requests for updates have been made), leave the original message, pin the original message and LOCK the thread. That way the original message with avatar instructions, or the birthday list will still be there, yet people will have to make a new thread for updating their avatar (or send a PM to get the birthday list updated) and not cause a huge long pinned thread nor cause a huge long thread to resurface that is really not necessary. Perhaps this would make everyone happy?!?! :)

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02

NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

I responded to you in your "showing post" under the thread...there is a difference between a long thread resurfacing with new info AND a long thread pinned to the top for those set up I like I am to work around.

If one is claiming that such a thread stays active and stays on top anyway then why would it need to be pinned if that really is the case...

AGAIN I have ZERO opinion on it being pinned...my opinion is with them being long for folks who not chose to read via a collapsed board (again different strokes for different folks). But three topics pinned was taking up more than 1/2 of the page in the way I chose to participate and read.

Still enjoying you showing me that it goes back to the top if someone replies to it:)....
    Until today I never even clicked on that thread before I assumed it was directions and thus pinned...I never knew it was used to "test"...
    Neve
    http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
    AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
    and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
    Feb 25, 2003
    Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

mharling Guest

Default RE: Super long threads that are pinned- an idea

I just had a lightbulb go on, Neve! I can totally picture your setup now and see why it would be a pain.

I second Jennifer's suggestion above!

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
    [link:www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b370a2992536|Birthday Pics!!]

amp Guest

That seems like a good solution. That way, if the just the instructions and the list are pinned, newer folks will see it right away, but it won't allow the entire post to be replied to and thus get too lengthy for people viewing all the posts at first glance. I like having those topics pinned, but can see where the way you view the page might impact the annoyance of having a long topic pinned.

If the replies to the Avatar thread are deleted, everyone's avatar will disappear.

I think it would be good to have a "testing" folder where people can do their avatar and test anything else they want to test.

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ok, how about reposting the instructions, pin that, lock that, and let the original thread fade away? Then users can post new avatars in any post they want to, but the ones that are in the original thread will be intact.

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02

I like that idea.

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2