aliceinwonderland Guest

Default May I renew the suggestion of making surfing the boards log-in dependent?

At the risk of annoying the owners/mods?? ;)

I find myself very leary at the fact that people who may not or cannot post here for one reason or another still can surf and read every single message, see every picture, etc.
    I guess the simple answer to my problem would be to stop posting pics and stuff I do not want on the world wide net, and I am considering this too, I just wanted ot renew the suggestion sort of as a last-ditch effort, I guess.

Very many thanks for listening, whatever the feelings on this.

Default RE: May I renew the suggestion of making surfing the boards log-in dependent?

Eri-

I had this very conversation with Alan yesterday. We're working on a solution...

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

aliceinwonderland Guest

Default Brilliant

thanks so much for being so responsive!

Emmas Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: May I renew the suggestion of making surfing the boards log-in dependent?

I understand what you are saying & don't really have a solution but if I hadn't been able to access the forums to see what they were all about, I never would've registered in the first place. Not that it would've been a loss to the board but I would've missed out on TONS of great information. :)
    ~Kristine
    ~My two angels: Blue-eyed beauty 8/03, Blondie 1/06
    ~Breast Cancer SURVIVOR
    EARLY DETECTION SAVES LIVES....DO YOUR SELF EXAMS LADIES!!!

Kristine-

There's the possibility of it just being the Lounge and Bitching Post, not the entire site.

-m
    Wife to Jonathan

That's correct--we can "protect" certain boards. The result is you'd have to log in (and hence be registered) before you could post to say the lounge. We are considering this.

Of course, this won't prevent anyone from signing up for a user account and then surfing the boards. That's why we probably need to continue to stress basic privacy protocol!

Best wishes,
    Alan & Denise

Judegirl Guest

I just wanted to say that I absolutely love the idea of protecting the Lounge and the Bitching Post (inasmuch as requiring a login affords such protection.)

Jude

A&D-

What is the status of this?

-m
    Wife to Jonathan

We've thought about this and have decided to keep the boards the way they are---that is, open for all to see but you must register to post.

We hear concerns about certain folks "spying" on the boards and members who feel uncomfortable posting because of this . . . but given our experience with this in this past, we realize protecting the boards so only registered users can see the posts in certain forums provides no real protection from such weirdos.

Instead, we believe restricting even just 1-2 forums will discourage newbies from joining in, as most folks don't want the hassle of registering to see a board they aren't even sure they want to contribute to.

The best course we think is to continue to encourage all new users (including newbies) to take basic steps to protect their privacy, whether on our board or any other board out there.

That said, we will revist this topic again in another month or so and consider it as the boards evolve.

Alan & Denise