jniter Guest

Default adding a "real life" budget appendix

I think it would be interesting to have readers actually report if they saved money and if so, how much.

How much you save is kind of a hard thing to quantify. I suppose first you would have to know how much you would have spent in the first place. Then you would have to keep track of your expenses the first year and compare.

I'm just wondering if people really save money or do they use your book for the reviews? I just find it interesting that people are still posting about buying full sets of baby furniture, changing tables, full crib bedding sets, Bugaboos, etc. when these things obviously don't save them money! I have nothing against people spending if they can pay the bills. I'm just wondering what they are doing using "Baby Bargains" if they are going to spend so much anyway.

I *hope* my husband and I will save money. I will be reducing my work load from FT to PT so we can take care of the baby together: hubby in the mornings and me in the afternoons. This means we really do have less money in our budget. We are budget minded people, but I'm known for fits of expensive taste. I'm fortunate to live in an area with lots of rich people discarding things barely used: upscale resale shops galore! I just found a children's clothing resale shop and told my husband I don't see a need to shop at the mall anymore! I swear some items looked like they were worn once or twice.

Anyway, I digress. I just thought it would be interesting if you could find a seasoned poster who was anal retentive enough to chart their expenses and estimate a "real" savings. Guesstimates are great, but testimonials are better. Some budget-challenged people might also find it inspiring.

Default RE: adding a "real life" budget appendix

Good suggestion---perhaps we could come up with a way for users to post their stories. We hear you . . . saving money isn't just a hobby!

Alan & Denise

rickandsinead Guest

New user; first post.

Friends gave us Baby Bargains 6th ed. as a gift recently. Our first is due 31 Dec 06. We're extremely frugal and would love to share our story...later. We have been keeping a journal of what we shop for, where, evaluation criteria, sources and final purchases. Aside from a few bits of maternity clothes, no baby purchases yet. However, we have cased the entire Baby Bargains site and followed up on many ideas. Will be happy to submit the journal in Spring 2007.

An idea we have set for ourselves: Set a first year budget. Then strive to beat it and bank the delta for baby's retirement.

Cheers ras

JulieL is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think this is a fabulous idea!