Default add a moderator note when posts are moved?

Can the moderators add a note to posts when they are moved to another forum? I am particularly thinking of posts that are moved to the bitching post.

the replies are different when it is perceived that someone is bitching about something. They may be seeking support, but when their post gets moved to the Bitching Post, they get chastised for "bitching" when that was not their intent at all.

A moderator note in the body of the post that says "this post was moved from the Lounge" would at least let people know the original poster wasn't intending to bitch/complain about the situation.

Or better yet, stop trying to read people's minds and determine their intent and police their thoughts and don't move things from the Lounge to the Bitching Post.

I can understand that you want less posts in the Lounge and I can understand that a post about car seats gets moved to the Car Seat forum. But deciding whether someone is bitching or not is not as clear cut as deciding they are talking about car seats.
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

trumansmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: add a moderator note when posts are moved?

Karen -

You have a valid point, but I'm kind of taken aback by your tone. A gentle request would have gotten the point across just as well.

FWIW, we receive numerous requests almost every day to move posts from one forum to the other. I can think of at least one thread that we moved due to an alert, and then we got alerts from others saying it should be in the other forum. Sometimes we can't win. We are in no way attempting to play "thought police", but are just trying to the best we can. Sometimes we make mistakes, but we're trying.

Perhaps a kind email would have served your purposes just as well? Your point of view will definitely be taken into consideration. But to complicate things, so will the thoughts of others.

Jeanne
    Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

JASC Guest

Jeanne, I must say, you handled that with both class and dignity.

Karen: Just a quick word on this---when a mod moves a thread, an automatic note is generated to say the thread has been moved. That's the way the board script is written. There is no way for the mods to say in that note WHY it was moved.

Yes, the mods could then add a note to the moved thread itself explaining why it was moved---but, as you know, our mods are volunteers so their time is limited!

As for the general call for moving threads, that is a judgement we trust the mods to make. As the lounge is very busy, the occasional thread is moved out of there to another place (yes, sometimes the bitchig post).

Hope that helps explain things!
    Alan & Denise

Jeanne,
    I apologize. I was reacting to the hurt feelings and could have waited awhile to post here about it.

Prior to this latest incident, I did have a nice discussion about it recently with Alan and Denise.
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

trumansmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks, Karen. No problem. :)

Jeanne
    Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

Jenn98 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

First, let me say I am truly grateful for the mods and all the work they do. THANK YOU!!!

I have noticed a lot of posts being moved and I wonder why. It seems like maybe we should post/pin a thread about what posts go where to remind/educate posters so the mods won't have to move them in the first place. Makes less work for you guys, right! :)

Here's my experience: I had a post moved several weeks (months?) ago. I posted in the lounge about why bikers don't use the sidewalk. I deliberatlely postd in the lounge because I wasn't just blowing off steam. I truly was seeking to understand why a biker chooses to ride in traffic even when there is a bike lane present. Anyway, when my post got moved to the bitching forum, I felt bad because I didn't want people to think I was just crabbing about it - I did have an hoest question.

Again, I appreciate our mods a great deal! I just wanted to toss out there that I did make a conscious decision to post in the lounge vs the bitching forum. Thanks!
    Jen

DD#1 is 7 years old
    DD#2 is 6 year old