vkmom Guest

Default Looking for Child Care

My daughter is 7 months old, and we're thinking about finding someone to watch her during the day (grandpa now has to care for grandma). What should I be looking for when I visit a sitter? Any suggestions for making the transition for baby? Thanks in advance.

neuhofer Guest

Default RE: Looking for Child Care

I have just hired someone for in-home care as I go back to work in a month. I thought my general impressions of the person (gut-feeling) were more important than any tick-sheet about experience etc.

Do you think this person is intelligent enough to be on the ball, noticing abnormal situations and potential dangers? A whole lot of people can do a good job when nothing's going wrong. It's just like we all think we are better than average drivers as we cruise down a sunny, dry, paved road.

Do you think your applicant has a sincere interest in children/your child? How is she (I assume) when meeting your child? Respectful of child's shyness? Or sticking all over your daughter like a cheap polyester shirt as she tries to demonstrate to you how much she "JUST LOVES BABIES" and how much they love her?

I don't know if my planned transitions will work, but I intend to proceed as follows: in the two or three weeks before work, my sitter will come to my house two or three separate days. I'll be in the house, but completely out of sight. Then the week before I return to work, we'll do a few full or half-days in a row. I'll leave the house. I am lucky to be able to come home for lunch, so this should help too.

Good luck,
    Shannon