Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    suzska Guest

Default RE: Delivering before due date

I agree with your "personal theory!" Evan's room was an absolute mess when we came home from the hospital. I was supposed to have that week before his due date to get things ready! The crib was up, but the sheets weren't on, and I had a bunch of quilting stuff and books in the crib. The sheets were washed, I think, just not on the crib. As you all know, I didn't have anything packed for the hospital. And Evan had Jaundice when we was born and had to be put on a "Billi Wrap/Lights" at home. I thought the nurse was going to call social services because of the clutter around the house (they came to the house with the unit on Friday night, and Saturday morning a nurse came out to take a blood sample and do an "evaluation." Or was that the one that came on Friday. Anyway, she checked the "clutter" box on the form.) We had moved the year before, but we still had (and have some) boxes everywhere. There was barely a path from the door to the crib to the changing table. Things are much better this year. :-)

spu Guest

Hi everyone,

I've truly enjoyed reading all your experiences. I'm a first-time mom-2-be (with twins in the oven) and have been on bedrest since Feb. so no classes for us... just lots of books talking about the 'gush'... (though, I did line my side of the bed with plastic and towels just in case.) I'm almost 35 weeks, so the twins could decide to come any day now.

How did you know the difference between the slow leak and normal discharge? Was in intermitten or more constant? And here's a question that I have no idea about -- what exactly do you push during labor? Is it like pushing a bowel movement, or doing an abdominal crunch?

I'd say we're partially ready. My bags are packed, hubby's list is done for his bag, clothes and sheets are in the dryer. No stroller yet. Car seats are in the living room. Other than that, we're winging it. :)

Thanks for the stories and advice!
    susan

jojo2324 Guest

It does get a little confusing down there towards the end :) All this stuff! I went to the hospital at 34 weeks because I thought my water had broken in kmart, went right through my jeans, pretty gross. It was right after I had peed. Anyway, it wasn't amniotic fluid, I guess just pee (not enough kegels!). I also had a nasty yeast infection (sorry for the gore) so maybe it was some of the medication for that. But right through my jeans, making me uncomfortable enough to walk funny (more so than usual :) I was told that water won't leave any sort of stain in your underwear, and that if you try to stop it (a la kegel), it won't. Also, if you lay down and it keeps coming, it's probably water.

suzska Guest

Well, maybe I shouldn't have said "slow leak." It was more like "spurts." Kind of like when you sneeze and something "comes out," only you didn't sneeze. And it was more than once in a few minutes. Of course when I described things to them at the hospital, they thought it might just be pressure on my bladder since it wasn't always happening. They did ask if I needed a "pad," which I did. (I put a towel under me in the car, but I don't think anything happened in the 15 minutes to the hospital.) The nurse uses something like a lithmus (sp?) strip to check for amniotic fluid, and it was negative (guess I "cleaned up" too well--sorry to be graphic, but you asked). The resident at the hospital did an internal exam, and he could see the fluid "pooling" and that was the only way they could tell for sure with me. At some point during labor, my doctor broke the sac down lower so that the rest of the fluid could come out.

And I can't explain what it's like to push. I was lucky enough that the nurse on duty when I started pushing was also the woman who teaches the Lamaze class. Without her it could have taken me longer. DH was not a very good coach, to be honest. DH is supposed to watch the monitor and tell you when you're "coming down" from a contraction, to help you mentally that the pain is getting less. My DH would watch the monitor and tell me as the contraction was getting worse! The nurse helped with breathing and when to push. But I don't think I was using my muscles correctly because I wasn't progressing. Then I figured something out, and things got better. Or so it seemed. Or I was just detemined to have it over with. I guess it's closer to an abdominal crunch, but I don't know. Two deep breaths, hold and push! That's all I remember. I do remember that it felt better to push than have another contraction. I had very little rest between contractions. And everybody was impressed with my "determination," but honestly I just wanted it to be over and see my baby. :-)

Hopefully things will go very smoothly for you!

spu Guest

Thanks for sharing! (and for the honesty!) The info about the coaching about coming down from a contraction is really helpful too. In about a week or two, I should have a story of my own to share. :) I should check out the Lamaze website to find out more about pushing and breathing.

Thanks again!!
    susan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3