Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    k2 Guest

Default Help us decide on a name!

Please give your opinion on our baby girl's name! We can't decide... and we're keeping it a surprise from family and friends!

Merritt Elise Norris

or

Lynley Elise Norris

Thanks!!

nywifey Guest

Default RE: Help us decide on a name!

I've never heard of either, but the second one sounds more girly.

KathyO Guest

My test of a girl's name is how it sounds:

(A) being bellowed off the back porch at suppertime,

(B) being whispered romantically on a moonlit night, and

(C) being etched into a gold nameplate to go on an enormous desk because she is CEO of her own corporation, or a world-class neurosurgeon, or something like that.

Okay, it's kind of a tongue-in-cheek way of going at it, but maybe it helps! (Won't tell you which of the two names I prefer!)

Cheers,

KathyO

mama2be Guest

KathyO...that was awesome!!!!!!!

Only since you asked, and I stress since you asked (Becasue I have gotten mad a many of folks givng me their opinion on my CHOSEN names)...I really like that Lynley...I too have never heard of it and LOVE IT!!!!

But both names are gorgeous!!!!

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I really like that! I'm going to have to remember this "test"!

I guess one of the reasons why I chose a classic name for my DD (I prefer to think it is "classic" rather than overly popular, LOL) is that these kinds of names usually pass that kind of "test".

I guess I prefer Merritt. To me Lynley sounds too much like Lindsey (which is fairly popular these days). I can just hear her being asked "was that Lindsey?" or being inadvertantly called Lindsey all her life. Just a thought.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Shirale Guest

Love the test!!! I will definitly have to remember that! Well, I think both names are lovely, but I think Merritt fits all of KathyO's qualifications better!!! Good Luck!

kathsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I did the same "test" as KathyO did to help decide DD's and DS's names. OK, I did not picture how it would look on a gold plate on the CEO's desk!LOL. I did practice "introducing" my children to others - "Hello, this is my daughter Katherine Miller" or "This is my son Andrew Miller". I made sure their full names flowed together for those times when you are upset and need to get their attention - I remember my mom raising her voice and using my full name when she was upset with me!!

That being said, I like both names you have chosen (but will show partiality - did I spell that right?- to Merritt since it is my maiden name!).

Good luck with your decision!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (scheduled for 9/23/02)

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I really like Merritt also, but both are lovely. Have you considered posting a baby name poll on www.babycenter.com? Sometimes people come up with good comments. And adore the test! Although you would be surprised by the names some well-known surgeons (male and female) go by!

shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)

shannon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Another Queen of the House of Boys:
    DS#1 2003
    DS#2 my mother's day gift 2012
    DH
    Mikey, the cat and rhinestone-collared, pink-leashed Schatze, our Rottweiler girl

k2 Guest

Thanks for all the opinions!! I'll take more!, and I'll create a poll at babycenter!

suzska Guest

Okay, since you asked.

I like Lynley, but probably because my middle name is Lynn. But I think Lynley Elise is a bit of a tongue-twister. I do like Elise, and it's one of the names on my very HUGE list if we ever have a girl. Do any of you watch Big Brother 3? I ask because Josh's girlfriend's name is Merritt (or something close), so when I see the name, all I hear in my head is him saying "Merr-witt!" Sorry, but you asked. And then there's the monogram--"MEN" vs. "LEN." I look at things like that because one of the names at the top of my list starts with "A" and I'd love to use "Suzanne" as a middle name (eventhough my name is "Susan," I always like "Suzanne" better). This would be okay, her monogram would be "ASB." But what happens when my daughter marries John Smith and becomes "ASS." See the things I worry about?!? Probably why I've never been able to come up with one set of names for a girl.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast